Pursuit is a social impact organization consisting of a 501c3 non-profit & a Public Benefit Corporation, focused on creating economic transformation for high-need, high-potential adults through technology. We are a mission-driven organization that goes beyond technical instruction to offer coaching, career development, & employer partnerships that help our Fellows secure high-paying software engineering jobs & thrive in their new careers.
We are One Big Team
The passionate & collaborative team at Pursuit gives its all to achieve our mission. And its not just staff. We work with employer partners that love hiring our Fellows because they are so well prepared, ranging from big financial firms to scrappy startups, & everything in between. We also activate & engage hundreds of volunteers that come from all areas of the tech industry. These experts & professionals help keep our curriculum fresh & our standards for achievement high by participating in our admissions process, as well as program-specific activities such as interview training, DemoDays, Hackathons, & Capstone projects.
Pursuit is looking for a VP of Policy & External Affairs to shape & execute our Policy strategy & plan & implement critical initiatives within our governmental affairs. Reporting to the CEO, you will partner with the leadership across the organization to turn legislative strategy into execution & define organization-wide goals & success metrics. Youll have the opportunity to work across all business units at Pursuit & have a direct & immense impact on our mission.
As the VP of Policy & External Affairs you will:
- Lead Pursuits efforts to drive broader economic transformation for high-need communities by leveraging partners to bring about policy change.
- Build a department focused on government & community relations specifically driving the agenda around tech, fintech, & mobilizing social financing.
- Help elevate Pursuit as key player in NYC community orgs (e.g. CUNY, NYCHA) to drive business/funding opps & raise awareness of tech possibilities in underserved communities.
- Work closely with Pursuits leadership team to examine the fluid external environment, strategically assess opportunities/challenges/threats in this landscape, & creatively work with external partners in smart ways to further Pursuits mission.
- Oversee & lead execution of Pursuits government engagement - on a Federal, state & local level - to educate, organize & engage elected officials to support Pursuits priorities.
- Lead & oversee Pursuits team efforts to build strategic partnerships with a broad range of Pursuits partners - community nonprofits, government, business, philanthropy, academia & other stakeholders - to identify business/funding opportunities, support its priorities, & raise awareness of techs possibilities.
What you need to be considered for this role:
- At least 3 years in an organizational leadership role, exercising strategic judgment & weighing in on overall organizational issues
- At least 5 years experience in an advocacy, external affairs/government relations, or government field
- Experience working directly to engage elected officials to enlist support for key priorities
- Demonstrated success in building coalitions & recruiting new partners & allies
- Knowledge of, & curiosity around political, nonprofit, & business landscape in New York City & New York State
- Strong written communications abilities including ability to draft strategy memos, assess & edit documents, materials & decks
- Strong oral communications, & ability to persuade a wide variety of stakeholders to work with Pursuit & move its priorities forward
- Ability to successfully manage & drive multiple projects & priorities
- Track record of driving outcomes
- Systems oriented, ability to create process & systems around external affairs, including database & task management systems.
- An early adopter or fan of innovation & disruptive technologies
- Strong preference for someone from or with a passion for the technology & or Fintech sectors
Where youll work: Hybrid: 2 days a week in our HQ in Long Island City & 3 days wherever you work best.
Compensation: Total Compensation will range from $150,000-$200,000
- Great culture where transparency, respect, teamwork, & kindness are valued
- Competitive compensation in base, plus bonus & a full benefits package
- Unlimited PTO & an all-Pursuit week-long holiday the last week of December
Pursuit Values Diversity
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.