BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
Business Area: Administrative
Job Category: Legal
Salary: 160,000-178,000 USD
Union Status: Non Union
This role will provide a full range of attorney functions relating to the negotiation, drafting, & execution of commercial agreements, & the related advice & counsel provided to internal clients, including agreements that concern intellectual property rights, licensing, technology & the companys other commercial dealings with third parties. It reports directly to the Senior Vice President. You know, & can evaluate, all matters in a way that balances needs & mitigates risk while achieving the business end-goal. You will be a trusted & knowledgeable point of contact for business leaders, & will maintain alignment between BuzzFeeds commercial objectives & its legal policies as reflected in the library of forms that have been developed, & you will update those forms & create new ones as necessary. You will be based in the New York Metropolitan area, & will work in our New York office on a regularly recurring schedule.
- Advise internal clients on deals to exploit the companys intellectual property, including through licensing & partnerships
- Review, negotiate & draft a broad range of commercial agreements relating to intellectual property monetization, operations & global brand strategy, licensing, procurement/vendor agreements (for Finance, IT/Tech, HR, Sales, Facilities & other operational functions), real estate leases & renewals, affiliate marketplace agreements, advertising/marketing agreements, partnership agreements & sponsorship agreements
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues & internal business partners on BuzzFeed's global intellectual property strategy
- Work with cross-functional teams (including Sales, Content, Experiential/Events & Business Development) to support the execution of BuzzFeeds tentpole live events & key partnerships
- Partner with other members of the legal & business affairs department to support BuzzFeed's general corporate legal activities, including providing support for mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships, equity investments & other sophisticated transactions
- Be a key member of the legal & business affairs team
- 6+ years of legal experience (preferably with in-house experience) including:
- management of U.S. & international IP transactions, complex commercial transactions, & the vendor contracting process for a multinational corporation
- copyright/trademark licensing, IP rights administration or entertainment law practice, including some or all of the following: merchandising, digital media, television, film
- Comprehensive knowledge of contract law & Intellectual Property rights.
- Experience drafting/reviewing a wide variety of contracts.
- Ability to contribute to global intellectual property strategy as needed with a focus on product & content licensing strategy.
- Hands-on involvement with due diligence, technology assessments, & analysis in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing & financing), as well as utilization of outside counsel in the same is a significant plus.
- Past exposure to the strategic thinking that underpins the structures of complex commercial agreements.
- Understanding of & experience with product & content licensing, digital media & intellectual property law
- Experience managing a high-volume workload while operating autonomously within corporate parameters & deadlines.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school, & a valid license to practice law in New York State.
- Proficiency with standard office communication & work processing systems.
- English fluency is required.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.