Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
We aim to empower teams at Planet to effectively deploy & operate their services. We offer expertise & guidance throughout the delivery lifecycle: building containers, authoring Kubernetes manifests, managing secrets, conducting zero-downtime upgrades, configuring routing, managing costs, & having the observability they need throughout. We also manage the fleet of Kubernetes clusters at Planet, as well as a suite of cross-cutting, shared services such as our API Gateway (through which all customer traffic flows), our shared event/message bus, & GitOps deployment tooling.
We operate as a distributed team that practices open & transparent communication with extensive use of modern remote-work practices.
Impact Youll Own:
- Managing our fleet of Kubernetes clusters & continuing to orchestrate smooth updates, staying on top of new community developments, & upcoming deprecations
- Improving cluster resource utilization & managing costs by informing & assisting service-owners in strategies for maximizing utilization without sacrificing stability
- Participating in an on-call rotation with our other team members
- Authoring technical design documents & architectural decision records
- Authoring runbooks, configuring dashboards, automating alerts, & finding strategies to automate away pain
What You Bring:
Here's a collection of some of the skills we value. Don't be discouraged if your strengths lie in particular areas more than others: that's what a team is for!
- You have experience operating Kubernetes clusters at scale for high-traffic services
- You have experience with GCP or other cloud providers, including experience with terraform or similar technologies such as Cloud Formation
- You have experience writing tools in Python and/or Golang
- You've embraced & practiced principles around the 12-factor app and four golden signals
- You're excited about working with a distributed team & are well versed in various synchronous (Slack), asynchronous (E-mail, Jira tickets), & collaborative (Google Docs) systems
- You have a high degree of empathy for your colleagues & an ability to remain composed under pressure
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You have familiarity with tools such as jsonnet, kustomize, helm, flux
- You have experience using monitoring tools such as Prometheus
- You've managed networking of a high traffic (thousands to tens of thousands reqs/sec) service using technologies like nginx, Envoy, or HAProxy
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment & flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.