The Who, What, Where & Why
Twilio is looking for an experienced Managing Commercial Counsel (Director level) to lead Twilios commercial legal work in the eastern half of the US primarily and, secondarily, in other parts of the world. This role will be based out of our New York City (Manhattan) office. In this role, you will support the Sales Team & other business groups with commercial contract work primarily. You will also lead the growth of Twilios Commercial Legal Team in this region.
You are a talented & creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts, closing deals as well as building & managing a team. This job is for you if you enjoy & thrive in a fast-paced & high pressure environment, you work well with sales reps in particular & a wide-range of personalities in general. You should also have an upbeat & positive attitude, love to both laugh & be part of a cohesive team - both Twilios Sales Team East & the Legal Team.
- JD or equivalent degree.
- 8+ years of legal experience, including 4+ years of technology transactions, 2+ years in-house at technology companies & 2+ years managing direct reports.
- Team oriented with exceptional interpersonal skills, unquestionable ethics, integrity, & sound judgment.
- Experience drafting complex strategic commercial transactions & leading contract negotiations.
- Experience advising clients on & managing multiple deals simultaneously on tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Experience hiring & managing lawyers & contract specialist.
- Experiencing effectively collaborating with business & other cross functional teams (Security, Privacy, Product, Accounting & Tax) to ensure business needs are met.
- Experience in one or more of the coverage areas listed above, with an emphasis in cloud platforms, PaaS, telecommunications and/or SaaS a plus.
In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal & financial risks, coordinating issue resolution & employing creative problem-solving.
- You must be able to work effectively with lawyers & non-lawyers alike both within & outside of Twilio & drive contracts to signature.
- You will be responsible for managing a large volume of inbound & outbound contracts & work closely with Twilios Sales Team as well as other key business units to guide contracts through review, negotiation & signing.
- You must be dedicated to providing excellent customer service, have zealous attention to detail, & excellent people skills. We also want you to be eager to be a contributing member of a fun, supportive & high functioning team.
- You will grow & manage a team to support Twilios commercial contract work in the eastern half of the US. *
- Youll also champion Twilios mission, ethics & integrity by ensuring that Twilios compliance policies are in practice to protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable laws & regulations, & are in line with Twilios values.
Twilios legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical & sound legal advice. Your unique skill set & experience are critical to help support our thriving & growing business & reinforce the trust & partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is also a unique employer; we are committed to your growth, your learning, your development & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. Twilio also has a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our New York office in Manhattan. You will enjoy our incredible perks: weekly team lunches, snacks, free flow of fresh fruit water, micro-roasted coffee, tea & craft beer, ergonomic desks, ping pong games, daily community events, vibrant co-working space filled with multinational companies / startups / entrepreneurs / freelancers, & more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work & home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; & that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl & not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, & video by virtualizing the worlds telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco & other offices in Berlin, Bogot, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore & Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.