What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology & marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $46 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile & web ordering experience for consumers, & by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, & marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom & pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Dominos?
Slice was born in 2011 & has quietly bootstrapped its way to building a network of more than 12,000 pizzerias nationwide. Ilir Sela, our founder & CEO, started the company as a passion project to help his friends & family in the pizza business, but he quickly saw a massive opportunity to champion these small businesses by bringing their bites to the masses. Ilir has since built an amazing team of operators, marketers, technologists, & investors all dedicated to making it easier for people to enjoy their favourite local pizza.
Things you will work on if you work with us:
Building out reusable services that will scale across multiple product teams by understanding the larger product direction & solving for the general capabilities of the platform.
- Deconstruct a product application into a smaller domain specific services.
- Expand on & build new tooling that will help developers move at a high velocity.
- Use your expertise in system design & software engineering skills to develop & deploy software that will help drive improvements towards availability, performance, efficiency, & security.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to discover common pain points, develop solutions, & promote best practices.
- Anticipate broad technical change & ensure Slice is ahead of the curve.
Things you may have already worked on:
- Highly available web services.
- A migration from a monolithic application into individual lightweight services.
- Performance tests, load tests, smoke tests.
- Working in a polyglot environment focusing on the best tool for the job.
- Rewriting something in your favourite language, because why not?
- 6+ years professional experience.
- Expertise in one or more high level languages like Ruby, Python or Go.
- You will be a specialist in API design.
- Proven track record in data design.
- Comfortable with the command line & Unix.
- You will have a record of sweeping improvements in stability, performance & scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Ability to recognise & make trade-offs with respect to the whole system.
- Demonstrable experience of leading conversations internally about the technical strategy & critical areas of the business.
- Comfortable anticipating technical issues at the product level & have the ability to make architectural & design decisions to avoid them.
- Experience of being a role model & mentor for everyone on your team.
- A fun & positive approach to your work, & treat others well.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical & organisational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to clearly express opinions on product design, while respecting the thoughts & opinions of their peers.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- A background in refactoring monolithic systems.
- Familiarity with messaging systems (RabbitMQ, SQS, ZeroMQ, Kafka).
- Experience with Container Orchestration (Mesos, Kubernetes) & Docker.
- Hands on Experience with ElasticSearch or Solr.
- Passion for technology.
- Love for Pizza.
We operate like a startup, so being self-motivated, curious, & flexible is a good start. You prefer to come up with your own solutions to problems but are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy making suggestions for how to improve our product & business, no matter the department. Youre the kind of person who roots for the underdog. And lastly, this job will probably be a lot easier if you have a soulmate-level love for authentic pizza.
Join a community of best-in-class engineers who combine creativity, curious minds & a commitment to excellence with the desire & commitment to grow & build on the engineering skill base & community here in NI. Missing a few of the criteria but have worked in a pizza shop? Why not get in touch!
- Industry Leading Salary
- Share Options
- Strong Pension contribution
- Health & Dental Care
- Income & Death insurance
- 750 a year to use for any self learning/education
- Health & wellbeing benefits
- Market leading Maternity & Paternity Schemes
- Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible working
- Generous time off allowance & policies
- Free Friday Pizza & Monday Breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen/snacks
- Annual conference attendance & training/development budget
- Substantial gym membership discount
How to apply?
We do not use agencies as we have a strong network of referrals, & also want you to have the best recruiting experience possible. A CV gives us a good idea of your background, we are interested in your latest work & projects. Education is great to see, but it's not overly important to us. If you have them, be sure to include links to any personal projects, blogs, contributions, or anything you want to add to your application.
My Pizza Slice is an equal opportunities employer & we value Diversity. We appreciate the differences in style & perspective as we believe it adds value to the organization, & we aim to recruit likeminded employees. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.