Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Senior Director, Employee Relations to join our People team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
This role will develop the enterprise-wide employee & labor relations activity. Additionally, this role will be responsible for the design & build of our ER practices to drive company performance, enhance employee experience, & ensure tight alignment to Oscars culture. Collaborate with senior executives, our legal team, business leaders & Talent Strategy Partners (HRBPs) to proactively resolve employee issues, foster teamwork, & build positive relationships. This role reports to the Vice President of Talent Strategy & will lead our ER practice as we scale.
You will report into the Vice President, Talent Strategy.
- Create policies & procedures that enhance employee engagement, contributing to Oscars mission & culture to be the best place to work.
- Shape Oscars employment practices during a hyper-growth stage for the company, influencing how we scale our unique culture.
- Bring deep subject matter expertise to people processes & build a roadmap for ER programs.
- Lead our visa & immigration process & partner with our internal & external council
- Develop strategies to manage employee relations issues. Provide counsel & training to managers on how to properly document performance issues in accordance with legal requirements & agency values.
- Investigate employee & client grievances & complaints in coordination with the outside legal counsel & internal leadership. Issue report on investigation findings, include recommendations for disciplinary actions in accordance with potential legal exposure & agency values
- Review & recommend policies & procedures related to employment practices, ensuring agency compliance with federal, state & local employment laws & regulations
- In consultation with the VP of Talent Strategy, develop an ER Dashboard & report on key metrics on a monthly basis. This should include but is not limited to: turnover, # of disciplinary actions & status of legal cases
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of educations & experience
- Must possess solid knowledge of federal, state & city labor laws & regulations & expectation s/he, they will stay abreast of legal or regulatory changes affecting HR;
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in Human Resources or related areas in a fast-paced organization including at least with at least 4+ years of experience leading high-performing ER teams within a high-growth environment at progressive companies
- Possess mastery functional expertise across the majority (if not all) areas of ER, including Investigations, Policy creation, Documentation Standards, Performance Management, Employment Laws, Ethics & Compliance, Partnership with Employment Law
- Practiced in performance management & employee relations; must have exceptional investigation & documentation skills that will meet legal standards
- Extremely employee centric & focused with experience & ability to work with employees at a variety of levels & to coordinate multiple stakeholders & projects
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational & time management skills
- Good self-direction & ability to problem solve & work as a team
- Masters or JD (non-licensed) preferred; credentialing in HR (S/PHR or SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP) a plus
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.