At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
Our Economics team & function sits within the Data Science job family, & is at the heart of Lyfts products & decision-making. Data Scientists at Lyft work in dynamic environments, where we embrace moving quickly to build the worlds best transportation. We take on a variety of problems ranging from shaping long term business strategy with data, making short-term business-critical decisions & building algorithms that power our internal & external products.
Lyft has a uniquely diverse & dynamic marketplace, spanning multiple lines of business like Rideshare, Bikes & Fleet. The Department of Economics is a pillar of Rideshare Labs, a centralized applied research group with a charter to solve Lyfts most challenging science problems. As the Manager of the Economics Team, you will be responsible for leading a talented team of economists applying economic theory & methods to improve our understanding of the Lyft platform, & how our users interact with it. The Economics team partners with product teams, advises leaders across the business, & initiates original research projects & academic studies.
- Lead & grow a high-performing team of economists with diverse skill sets & backgrounds
- Work with cross-functional partners in product, engineering, design, finance, & operations to apply empirically-driven, economics-based solutions to achieve business goals
- Set a vision for the Economics team, & maintain a portfolio of projects aligned to that vision, including hands-on product work, advisory engagements, & research studies
- Partner with internal Policy & Social Impact teams, as well as external academics, to write original research papers
- Serve as a champion of sound decision-making at all levels of the company
- Degree in a quantitative field like statistics, economics, applied math, operations research or engineering (advanced degrees are preferred) or relevant work experience
- 5+ years of hands-on technical experience in an Economist or Data Scientist role or equivalent
- 2+ years experience as a technical lead / manager building & leading data science teams
- Strong track record of using economic theory & methods to improve business outcomes, & guiding teams through unstructured technical problems to deliver impact
- Skilled at managing cross-functional relationships & communicating with leadership across multiple teams
- Willingness to collaborate & communicate with others to drive cross-team & cross-organization initiatives forward
- Track record of originating & producing high quality research, including academic papers, is a plus
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States & Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated & up to date against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated & up to date means an employee has: 1) received all recommended doses in a primary series of COVID-19 vaccine; & 2) either has received a booster dose or is not yet eligible to receive a booster dose but will do so when eligible. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state & local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.
This role is work-from-anywhere, excluding the following states & all U.S. territories: Alabama, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Puerto Rico.