Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were making homeownership simpler, faster & most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what its like to buy & own a home in this country, were building things that dont exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $375 million in home loans per month
- Weve funded more than $4 billion in loans since our inception in 2016
- Were #964 ons 2019 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, & others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
A Better opportunity: *Work From Home Opportunities 2 days/week*
Better is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join our growing team! Using established underwriting guidelines, you will evaluate borrower financial & credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions. Our underwriters work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, Oakland, Gurgaon, Charlotte & Orange County we are quickly expanding in order deliver a delightful borrower experience through a combination of technology & people.
You will have the opportunity to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers & industry experts to resolve technical & operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Underwrite & decision agency conforming & jumbo residential mortgage loans
- Verify & analyze all necessary financial information & documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit & legal documents
- Review appraisal reports to identify & resolve any discrepancies discovered within
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income & expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, & property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
- 7+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, & Non-Conforming mortgages
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Strong written & verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management experience a plus
- Ability to work from the local office - this role is not available remotely.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.