Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were building a better way to get home & our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, were making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, weve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees & days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank & others have invested over $85MM in Better & our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Chief Appraiser to join the team. This person will work closely with our Head of Collateral to manage the priorities of the team. They will build a best in class direct engagement appraisal panel through the solicitation, selection & management of a nationwide panel of 10,000 appraisers. The Chief Appraiser will work in tandem with the Valuation Team from appraisal ordering through appraisal submission. Beyond producing high-quality appraisals & managing priorities, our goal is to build a process that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex appraisal process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers & industry experts to resolve technical & operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring appraiser retention, appraiser turn times, & appraisal quality
- Monthly reporting on metrics
- Assist with building a strong dynamic team
- Monitor appraisal compliance at the state & federal level
- Coordination of team members across multiple offices & time zones
- Advocate for technological resources that will streamline the appraisal process
Bonus points for:
- Being a licensed or certified appraiser
- 2-3 years appraisal management experience
- Strong written & verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Ability to work from the local office - this role is not available remotely.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.