ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability & maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, designers, analysts, & key business stakeholders to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audiences experience while balancing frequent iterations & thoughtful source code changes. Our mission is to enable our partners across the company, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
As we grow, were looking for an experienced mentor & team manager to oversee a group of developers responsible for our frontend web tools - both externally-facing sites & internally-facing systems. Reporting to our Senior Director of Engineering, you'll be responsible for working alongside product, design & other teams to help define new components & refine existing ones as we advance on an aggressive product roadmap.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication & trust
- Experience managing the careers of one or more developers on your team
- 6+ years of industry experience building fast, reliable, scalable web-based applications
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, Babel, React, Redux
- Experience with CI/CD techniques & tools, including CircleCI, GitHub Actions, & the related processes that support them
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation & attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, & high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting & discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum)
- Knowledge of & experience with isomorphic React principles
- A history of leading & guiding high-performing technical teams
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'' & Skimmd From the Couch, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.