At Flexport, global trade is powered by data -- data that equips our clients with best-in-class visibility into their supply chains & helps them run their businesses effectively.
As a Senior Ocean Trade Lane Associate, you will be a foundational member of the team, learning all aspects of the trade, mastering Flexports advanced tech systems, & working on the front lines to ensure Client Solutions teams - & by extension, Flexports clients - have the right solutions & the right prices so that supply chains run smoothly. You will be an expert in coordinating & executing the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, & implementation cycles for the geographys imports. From fulfilling pricing requests to working directly with carriers, you will learn the breadth of our interaction with ocean carriers & bridge the gap between our clients & the fulfillment of ocean freight.
Be a market expert
- Stay up-to-date on all market pricing, current conditions & cost competitiveness
- Assist with both short-term & long-term pricing exercises
- Work cross-functionally with Pricing, Sales, & Operations to implement best practices for new services in the market
Coordinate & implement the end-to-end solutions designed for Flexport clients
- Develop ownership of the day-to-day supporting functions involved in working with ocean carriers & Flexport Client Solutions stakeholders
- Assist with new client implementation
- Procure rates for customer requests within our network of vendors (carriers & partners); ensure they are readily available in Flexports software
- Manage all types of rate quotations & work with vendors to find dynamic & creative solutions for customers
- Manage all rate databases, cost & sell; ensure integrity of data in both databases
Act as the first point of contact for all Ocean issues, requests, or questions & take the lead in reaching a resolution
- Act as the first point of contact for Client Solutions regarding Ocean escalations; resolve as quickly as possible or coordinate a resolution with an eye for mitigating future escalations of the same nature
- Triage incoming requests & solve where possible or provide direction to the appropriate team for resolution
- Monitor group emails, Slacks, & offer support wherever possible
Develop & maintain relationships with external vendors & carriers
- Interface with external vendors to procure rates & design solutions for Flexport customers, both internal & external
- Support the Trade Lane Manager in developing & maintaining excellent relationships with external vendors
- Maintain a pulse on the market regarding our vendors costs, capacity, & rate trends
- Develop professional expertise, apply company policies & procedures to resolve varied complexity while maintaining high customer satisfaction.
Contribute to process improvements
- Master all Flexport internal tools & databases for maintaining buy & sell rates
- Maintenance of ocean procurement documentation. This can include, but isnt limited to: organizational folders, procurement databases, charts, workflows, etc.
- Embody a can-do attitude at all times
You should have:
- Requires at least 2-4 year(s) of related experience. Bachelor's degree required or equivalent years relevant work experience
- Knowledge of product & technology within the industry
- Experience with regards to imports and/or exports from a sales, operational or procurement perspective.
- Experience building & maintaining relationships & partnerships with vendors
- Analytical skills & metric / data based approach to solving problems
- Strong analytical background & knowledge of analytical tools (Excel, etc)
- Strategic vision & ground floor execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, & organizational skills
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is & why improving global trade can help to connect the world & break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.