The Atlantic is looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer to join its Product Engineering team in our DC office to help build the future of journalism. The Atlantic is a digital-first media company with over 160 years of history & 36 million readers a month. As a senior member of the frontend team, you will help refine our development processes as well as building & improving new features on the frontend.
We work on a cross-functional team with product managers, designers to build creative & engaging new features that support The Atlantics journalism & are accessible & performant. We use a wide range of technologies including Nunjucks, SCSS, & Express & we are constantly evaluating how new technologies can help improve our workflow. As a team, we value curiosity & flexibility over specific technical experience.
As a Senior member of our frontend Team you will...
- Scale & improve The Atlantics web frontends including TheAtlantic.com & CityLab.com with an eye on usability, accessibility, & performance.
- Help modernize The Atlantics frontend development practices to improve developer experience & allow for rapid feature iteration.
- Ensure a high standard for frontend code through use of automated testing & linting.
- Provide clear & empathetic feedback to colleagues on the frontend team through code review & pair programming.
- Collaborate with The Atlantics Product, Design, Platform, & DevOps teams to plan, prototype, & execute ambitious projects on deadline.
As a Senior engineer
- You have worked on large projects: You have collaborated with technical & non-technical team members to evolve a large codebase before. Youve broken up large projects into ordered, discrete tasks for a project plan.
- You have a broad set of tools: You feel as comfortable using modern frontend tooling as you do with more traditional frontend development. You know how to evaluate & advocate for the right tool for the job.
- You are a strong communicator: You can distill complex technical ideas for a diverse set of stakeholders from developers to editors, product managers, & executives. You can write clear & concise documentation.
- You are adaptable: The idea of working on multiple projects of different sizes on different technology stacks excites you. Youre willing to jump in & contribute to our Django/Python codebase.
- You are a critical thinker: You dont need to be told how to get from point A to point B. You are up for the challenge of figuring how the pieces of a modern frontend stack fit together.
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including: 401(k) savings plan with employer match, health care with domestic partner coverage, unlimited vacation & sick leave policy, & commuter benefits.
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two pillar gifts in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas to the good & not have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, & flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity a natural disposition in each colleague toward service & selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth critical on the merits but informed by charity & forbearance in measuring motive & personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.