Director of People
Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates economic transformation for high-need, high-potential individuals through our technical training programs. We are not just another coding boot camp. We are a mission-driven organization that goes beyond technical instruction to offer coaching, career development, & employer partnerships that help our Fellows secure high-paying software engineering jobs & thrive in their new careers.
We are One Big Team
The passionate & collaborative team at Pursuit gives its all to achieve our mission. And its not just staff. We work with employer partners that love hiring our Fellows because they are so well prepared, ranging from big financial firms to scrappy startups, & everything in between. We also activate & engage hundreds of volunteers that come from all areas of the tech industry. These experts & professionals help keep our curriculum fresh & our standards for achievement high by participating in our admissions process, as well as program-specific activities such as interview training, DemoDays, Hackathons, & Capstone projects.
About the Role
As Pursuits first Director of People, you will help shape & enable Pursuits values-driven & innovative startup culture, driving learning & growth across our staff. As part of Pursuits Senior Leadership Team, youll work closely with the COO, CFO & General Counsel to develop & implement strategy, policies & processes around compensation, HR compliance, performance management & talent development. This is a fantastic opportunity for a mission-driven people leader to have a direct impact on Pursuits growth & culture & enable our mission of economic transformation.
As a Director of People you will:
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team to define the vision for Pursuit culture, & own communication & ongoing training regarding our principles, values & culture across the organization
- Own end-to-end employee experience & touchpoints, from onboarding through employee exit management, including all-staff internal communications, training, & professional development
- Manage personnel policies & procedures, including performance management, compensation approach, annual review process, goal setting & implementation of performance improvement plans
- Manage Talent Manager & help develop hiring, recruitment & onboarding strategy
- Support department managers in carrying out their responsibilities pertaining to personnel & recruitment matters
- Maintain responsibility for compliance with federal, state & local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters, interface with legal, & develop materials including employee handbook
- You are excited about Pursuits mission & have strong alignment with Pursuits values
- You are a strategic & analytical thinker with strong communication skills
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset & are willing to be scrappy & roll up your sleeves & get the job done during a period of rapid growth, scrappy
- You have experience working in HR at various companies, ideally at tech companies or companies with a 2-sided marketplaces
What you need to be considered for Director or People role:
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in progressively more responsible HR positions, preferably in the tech industry
- Experience in leading HR/people operations in a leadership role
- Broad HR experience in recruitment, benefits administration, compensation, & professional development
- Previous experience working with senior level executives ability to work comfortably with executives & juggle multiple viewpoints & priorities
- Experience in change management & internal communications & training
- Experience driving & managing company values & culture
Where youll work:
- Hybrid/Long Island City, NY
- Staff will be working on site in our Long Island City Office 2 days/week beginning in March 2023.
- Great culture where transparency, respect, teamwork, & kindness are valued
- Competitive compensation in base, plus bonus & a full benefits package
- Unlimited PTO & an all-Pursuit week-long holiday the last week of December
Pursuit values diversity:
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.