Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities & public spaces, with products that bridge the digital & physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information & content to enrich our everyday journeys & elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with groundbreaking technology to design, develop, deliver, & maintain unique products & experiences in public space that deliver value to advertisers, cities, & consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting & travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents & visitors, or private developers to craft unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods & districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the role?
As a member of the Data & Analytics team, youll work in a central function using data to help stakeholders from each team to address its most pressing strategic & operational challenges as well as maintain & improve our underlying, cloud-based data infrastructure.
Youll get to dive deep into our internal operations, interview stakeholders to understand their needs & processes, get your hands dirty with data analysis, & translate your insights into a clear & compelling narrative using data visualization tools. Youll support our outdoor media business by interpreting client needs & developing custom solutions for measuring the effectiveness of their advertising campaigns using cutting edge adtech solutions. And youll strengthen Intersections position as the leader of the Smart Cities revolution by imagining & developing innovative new ways that we can leverage our unique datasets to improve life in cities & public spaces. You will get to work with advanced cloud based database solutions & many state of the art tools ranging from Tableau for analytics & data visualization to SQL & Python for data manipulation & machine learning.
Within your first month, you will:
- Learn about the multifaceted nature of our business, including: how a Link gets deployed; how outdoor media gets bought, sold, & executed; how our programmatic selling platform works; how we work with cities & external partners; & how our millions of users experience our products.
- Understand our data architecture & team structures, including the roles played by Data Engineering, Analytics, Business Intelligence, Data Science, & Machine Learning.
- Go deep into one area of focus, understanding the business challenges, the stakeholders, the processes, & of course, the data.
- Develop & present your first dashboard in Tableau.
Within your first 3 months, you will:
- Play a key role in converting an entire departments reporting processes into full-blown business intelligence, automating manual efforts, replacing spreadsheets with automatically refreshing dashboards, presenting to key stakeholders, implementing a feedback loop, & planning for future improvements.
- Participate in an advertising measurement study from beginning to end, learning how to understand client requirements, how to recommend the appropriate methodology for measuring an out-of-home campaign, & how to communicate to different audiences.
- Participate in taking our data architecture to the next level by integrating data across multiple areas of the business & delivering improved analytics performance to internal as well as external stakeholders.
Within your first year, you will:
- Develop your skills to become a Tableau Guru on the Data & Analytics team, & a point person for others around the company who are seeking out data visualization & business intelligence best practices.
- Know at least one side of the business so well that youre able to proactively identify improvements to their operations by using the dashboards that youve built for them.
- Strengthen your knowledge of cloud based databases, data processing, & SQL skills.
- Be able to measure your impact on the business in terms of revenue generated in new business & dollars saved from improved operational efficiency.
- Identify a new way to use Intersections data to improve life in cities.
Youre great for this role because:
- You have 3+ years of experience as an analyst, consultant or data professional
- You have robust experience with SQL & Tableau (or similar data visualizations tools)
- You have experience with cloud based database systems - ideally AWS and/or SnowFlake
- You possess a strong business acumen; you are able to keep the big picture in mind while remaining focused on the details.
- You have worked with large & complex datasets & databases, & you are familiar with the tools needed to wrangle them
- You excel at seeing patterns in datasets that others miss, & you can turn that pattern into a story that anyone can understand.
- You are able to communicate effectively with an engineer in one meeting, & a salesperson in the next.
- You learn independently; you know when to ask for help, but prefer to try to figure something out on your own first.
- You are familiar with media and/or marketing (preferred but not required)
- You have a degree in Economics, Statistics, Math or another quantitative field (preferred but not required)
- You have some understanding of Python and/or R for data manipulation & machine learning applications (preferred but not required)
Intersection is an Equal Opportunity Employer.