Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 400 employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Singapore & London. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About our Senior Data Scientist Role:
We are looking for a data scientist who is excited by the challenge of solving big data problems using a wide array of modeling & quantitative techniques. Members of Foursquares data science team are responsible for owning important methodological components of our Targeting to Measurement products. This person will have the opportunity to tackle the challenges posed by continuous flow of massive data from heterogeneous sources (often have different data structures as well) using various big data analytics.
This individual will have a deep understanding of data science concepts & techniques across the disciplines of applied statistics & machine learning. This role has the ability to develop new solutions/algorithms & build scalable prototypes of novel methodologies from the ground up. Communication skills using data visualization for effectively sharing insights found in data with stakeholders will be a plus.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Build supervised & unsupervised learning systems to build user profiles & extract visitation behavior from sensor data.
- Drive feature engineering & experimentation to improve performance of our various algorithms
- Collaborate with engineering teams on implementing & deploying large scale data processing pipelines
- Build internal tools for monitoring & investigation purposes
- Lead cross-team cooperation & mentor junior scientists
- 5+ years of work or educational experience in data science, machine learning, statistics, or applied mathematics.
- PhD degree or comparable research experience in a quantitative field
- Proven track record of delivering on products and/or practical research endeavors
- Programing skill for advanced computing (experience with the Python science stack and/or Scala required)
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, AWS EMR or similar frameworks is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.