Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring an Operations Engineer to join our Insurance Operations team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
You will work within Oscars Operations organization to improve upon Oscars infrastructure & underlying logic, playing an important role in the transition to next-generation technology platforms for core insurance functions. You will design the rules that determine broker commissions, a primary operation supporting member enrollments, & setting up data quality systems & guardrails to ensure the functions ongoing success. Working with Oscars Tech, Data, & Operational Process teams, you will be the owner of projects to contribute to our partners unique experience & will be necessary to supporting Oscars growing membership.
Youll work with the Insurance Operations Automation team, Data, Engineering, & business lead. Well expect you to understand complexity in many dimensions, distill it, & explain it in simple, structured terms to several audiences & levels.
You will report into the Senior Operations Manager.
During the first 6 weeks you will:
- Developed an understanding of the operations ecosystem (including the underlying technology) & its current strengths, weaknesses, & gaps.
- Internalized the coding languages & data structures used in both older health industry systems & the next generation tech platform that Oscar is building.
- Begun to form a working relationship with partners.
During the first 6 months you have:
- Independently built scripts & tools to ensure seamless data integrations between Oscars external partners & its new insurance technology stack.
- Become an expert on the main member, provider, & claims data models used in health insurance operations.
- Partnered with the Claims Engineering & Data departments to structure & operationalize the next generation of health insurance operations.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Build & oversee Claims, Member, & Provider data technical projects tied to important operations & strategic priorities.
- Distill the requirements of new product & market expansions & design automated workflows to reduce manual work requirements.
- Support the Claims, Member, Provider, & Clinical operations teams to resolve provider & member escalations through issue investigation, training, & technical tooling.
- A bachelors degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, or industrial engineering)
- Experience working with complex financial data
- Experience using SQL & Python to solve complex problems
- Experience distilling complex concepts & workflows into clear content for all kinds of audiences
Experience following through on ideas for improvement, including a hand in implementation.
- An academic or professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge & passion for healthcare or health insurance
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- Startup experience
An enjoyment experimenting & iterating on ways to solve a problem
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.