Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world
What you build & where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of databaseone born in the cloud & built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, & thrive everywhere.
About the Role
We're looking for a Staff Technical Writer to join our team & help us create outstanding documentation that educates & guides our global community of customers & open source users to success, with a particular focus on the application developer experience.
- Put yourself in the shoes of developers building applications on CockroachDB.
- Write concise & informative how-tos & tutorials, intuitive explanations of complex topics & features, & comprehensive CLI & API reference documentation.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB & accompanying technologies.
- Contribute to defining & evolving the Documentation teams processes & conventions.
- Foster collaboration with our Training, Engineering, Product, Support, & Customer Success teams to keep our documentation up-to-date, effective, & user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you have completed onboarding & developed enough expertise to begin your first documentation project. You will have also started to review & edit documentation written by other technical writers on the team. You will use CockroachDB hands-on throughout this experience. We believe that it's important to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will oversee documenting the CockroachDBs SQL observability & schema features. You'll design & improve documentation conventions, processes, & tools to increase the effectiveness & efficiency of the documentation process. As our user base grows, you will be a part of developing the team to accommodate higher demands for education. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB & that requires excellent documentation from you & the team.
- 5-7+ recent years of technical writing experience.
- A passion for writing & editing developer documentation, including tactical how-tos, end-to-end tutorials, & detailed CLI & API reference. You are passionate about clarity, concision, & correctness.
- Recent experience with Markdown, HTML, CSS, & UNIX, as well as source control systems like git.
- Familiarity with, or are willing to learn about, the various technologies that make web-scale applications function.
- A love for information. You enjoy getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- A passion for building relationships with internal & external users to get feedback & identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
Reporting to Lauren Hirata Singh, Manager, Documentation
Lauren is all about clear & concise documentation, & joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help make learning CockroachDB easy & intuitive. She is constantly grateful for the passion & dedication that both the company & open-source community has for the CockroachDB docs. Previously, Lauren worked at a few other NYC-based tech companies, & has experience as a writer on a larger Docs team, as well as being a companys only tech writer. When shes not at work, Lauren can be found spending time with her family, swimming, & watching basketball.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $130,000 to $205,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, & geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary & fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidates qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, & competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, & recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life & disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, unlimited PTO, paid holidays, & parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.