Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Director of HR & DEI to work with our team to provide global leadership & oversight of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion program & Human Resources team.
The Director of HR & DEI will have helped to formally structure global equity, diversity, & inclusion initiatives in other global organizations, reflecting Purposes commitment to these areas & will develop the strategy & oversee implementation of the next phase of Purpose Diversity, Equity & Inclusion work, partnering with senior leaders in the company to ensure our commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion is reflected in our global processes, work output & culture. The successful candidate will have experience thoughtfully designing global equity programs that are tailored to unique cultural contexts, while maintaining an organizational wide advancement & commitment to this work.
The successful candidate will ideally have experience working in both established & rapidly growing companies, having structured or overseen global Human Resources processes for a variety of positions & organizations that are similar to Purpose, including agencies or professional services firms. This candidate will have deep experience with all facets of the HR functions day-to-day management, including employee relations, recruiting of both FTE & freelance/contractor support, performance management, benefits administration, & general HR compliance best practices.
This role is full-time & based in our New York office.
The Director of HR & DEI will be joining Purpose's People, Culture & Operations team, contributing to special projects relevant to sustaining & building Purpose culture across the full breadth of our global team.
THE DAY TO DAY
- HR Management:
- Developing & championing a global HR strategy that is aligned with our organizational values
- Leading the HR function & working in collaboration with leaders at the company to ensure we are implementing best practice
- Overseeing benefits administration in our US office, & working with local partners to
- Managing grievances that arise across Purpose offices
- Develop & oversee an ambitious recruitment program for both FTE & freelance/contractor support, & train staff across offices to participate in best practice recruitment
- Oversee the organization, accuracy, retention, & compliance of all HR information, including personnel files
- Manage high level external HR partnerships
- Create & maintain feedback channels, & support staff to disseminate feedback in a productive & timely manner
- Work with external counsel to manage internal inquiries & resolve labor-related issues
- Manage, coach, & mentor HR team members to execute on critical HR administrative, strategy, data & analytics work that undergirds people & culture as well as all aspects of HR
- Build trusting relationships across the organization to integrate HR work
- Communicate effectively to staff members about HR work & initiatives
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- The leadership & evolution of the firms Inclusion & Diversity strategy, sourcing input from key stakeholders. This will likely cover process & policy improvements, leadership engagement, communications & engagement activities & measurement as required
- Working with leaders across the company to embed Diversity, Equity & Inclusion into all employee life touch-points, acting as the subject matter expert on all matters DEI, & being accountable for the evolution of our DEI strategy.
- Developing & tracking metrics to measure our progress against our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion strategy.
- proactively championing the continued evolution of an inclusive culture in which everyone can thrive
- Working with leaders across the company to integrate a nuanced DEI lens into our approach to work across lines of business, & intellectual property
- The design & leadership of specific DEI programs for Purpose, for example leadership & colleague training, mentoring programmes, maternity coaching etc. taking an insight-led approach where required
- Overseeing the firms Affiliates groups, working with internal leaders on objectives & activities, & creating & owning a comprehensive view of all ongoing activity to enable key stakeholders to make an informed decision on priorities
- Setting measures that enable us to track our improvements in this area, aligned with the firms wider engagement measurement approach
- You have at least 10 years of combined HR & DEI experience
- You have concrete experience shaping & structuring organization-wide initiatives around equity, diversity, & inclusion
- You have received formal equity, diversity, & inclusion training, & implemented
- You are a confident & sophisticated communicator, presenter, & writer
- You have experience handling sensitive & confidential information & dealing with urgent, highly confidential issues in a fast-paced environment
- You have a track record in building productive relationships with a range of key players, candidates & influencers in relevant fields
- You have provenexperience developing & implementing recruitment processes across a range of positions
- You carryhigh personal integrity, with commitment to advancing both profit & mission-driven objectives
- You have people management & team-building experience, & can speak to those experiences
- You ideally have some experience managing external vendors to achieve strong end-user results
- You have knowledge & experience in the execution of best practices in management & recruitment for growing organizations
- You have the right to work in the US
- You are ideally familiarwith creative agencies, campaigning, & movement-building or issue areas of strong relevance to Purposes mission
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role. Applications close on March 20th, 2020.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.