Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
Our Engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics & shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom reservations management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering & algorithms to create a personalized website & an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
Our Reservations Engineering Team is responsible for solving the complex problems around real-time inventory availability & predicting future inventory availability. This is a constantly evolving problem that requires consistent focus on performance & data accuracy in order to meet our customers expectations. This service is critical to serving real-time inventory availability data to our customers; scaling & performance optimization of this service requires tenacious attention to data modeling, caching, & query optimization. Recently, this team led the effort to open up a new & growing revenue generating resale line for our business which included developing the technical plan & executing the implementation across multiple teams & services.
About the Role:
We are looking for a software engineer with server-side & some frontend development experience to work on our core RESTful services. Our engineering team uses a microservices style architecture to power our mobile app, our website, & our warehouse technologies. In this role you will work on both new product features & technical enhancements as we believe in building for the future to enable performance & scaling. Youll be part of the team that owns our rapidly evolving reservation system, & with it our customer promise.
What Youll Do:
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, & deployment
Develop clean, testable, scalable systems using Java, React, SpringBoot, RabbitMQ, MySQL, MongoDb, Redis, Splunk, Kafka, Kotlin & a variety of other open-source technologies
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind
- Find architectural improvements to enable rapid growth in traffic & order volumes while continuously improving developer productivity
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Mentor & learn from your teammates & foster an inclusive, empowering team dynamic
- You have a degree in computer science, software engineering or 5+ years of coding experience in Java with a practical understanding of OO design principles.
- Youve shipped multiple large software projects & learned from the experiences
- You're able to learn new tools & technologies quickly
- You have experience working as part of an Agile software development team
- You're able to manage your time & juggle competing priorities
- You have exceptional communication skills
- You have extensive Java skills or any prior SpringBoot, RabbitMQ, MySQL are a plus
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.