We are looking for an Associate Design Director to help co-lead the Industrial Design practice in our NY Studio.
The Associate Design Directorwill participate in business development efforts to win projects, provide hands on project leadership & manage a team of designers from staff to senior level. The Industrial Design practice at Smart is very hands-on; designers make stuff, work with engineers, create prototypes, test their concepts with real users with the goal of helping improve the way people live & work. Accordingly, the ideal candidate will have a well-developed sense of form, proportion, color & materials to appropriately lead client work. But he/she is also comfortable & excited to lead some client work on the front-end of innovation that may not result in a physical product.
- Lead product development projects driven by user insights with expert understanding of core ID skills from hand sketching, digital visualization, CAD, materials & manufacturing knowledge, & impressive design sensibility
- Manage staff, defining responsibilities & expectations for report-tos, & project team members, providing project guidance & helping their professional growth.
- Contribute to business development activities in collaboration with Smarts leadership team.
- Be active in the design community in forms of competitions, teaching, or thought leadership such as blog posts, speaking engagements, etc.
Naturally, you have:
- 10+ years of experience as an industrial designer.
- Expertise in human-centered design & design research methodologies.
- Specific experience managing a team of designers.
- Experience in business development & project scoping.
- An incurable curiosity relating to all things design.
- Passion for conceptualizing & designing meaningful product solutions for people in their homes (housewares industry experience a plus).
- Organized & comfortable leading project teams & client meetings.
- Incredible 2D skills like hand sketching, Illustrator & Photoshop rendering.
- Equally incredible 3D CAD skills like Rhino & SolidWorks.
- Ability to confidently present your design to clients & answer any questions.
Direct candidates only; NO THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS PLEASE. At this time, we are unable to sponsor for this position.