Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
Reporting to the CMO, the VP of Content & Communications will be responsible for creating & executing the strategy necessary to achieve our aggressive targets for growing our community, building our brand, & delivering on self-service revenue. We are looking for an experienced marketing leader with a proven track record of building high-performance teams to deliver sustainable results. They thrive in a fast-paced environment & have a reputation for creating alignment with sales; delivering value for internal & external partners; & inspiring a culture of transparency, collaboration & shared success. Public Relations, Developer Education, Technical Editing, & Content Marketing report into this leader.
We want people who are passionate about the power of storytelling, strategic positioning, & thought leadership.
How can we best serve our customers & prospects at each point in the buyers journey? The ideal candidate has a passion for aligning content & communication initiatives to awareness & revenue goals, & will be held accountable for KPIs & quotas accordingly. They have proven success collaborating with cross-functional marketing teams as well as working with related product, web development, & creative teams to envision, execute, & measure content programs that fuel the self-service funnel, as well as position DigitalOcean as a thought leader. This VP of Content & Communications can be remote-based anywhere in the USA.
What Youll Be Doing: Leadership, Strategy, Execution
- Lead a high-performing team of writers, editors, educators, & internal & external communications experts that focus on serving our company & community through thoughtful messaging & educational assets
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for best-in-class content to guide the team as we grow our community website & introduce new content programs to serve our existing & new target markets
- Act as lead storyteller for the brand & own all messaging: create unique & compelling company, category, & product/technology narratives to continue to raise our profile & elevate our brand in the market
- Build a Content Marketing Team that will deliver compelling & data-driven editorial content & customer stories
- Demonstrate impeccable skill with cross-functional work to create & implement a DigitalOcean voice & style guide that will ensure a consistent experience through multiple customer & prospect touchpoints
- Establish & lead overall internal & external communications strategy - inclusive of public relations, media relations, crisis communications, internal communications, & social media/community functions
- Advance the strategy & voice for executive communications; including speaking engagements, media interviews, social media channels, & internal communications
- Execute annual media & analyst relations programs including content, briefing schedule, relevant events, agency relationships, & budget management
- Oversee our earned media program across trade, business, & tech publications to maximize DigitalOceans share of voice & brand recognition
- Work closely with the Revenue Marketing Team to fuel the self-service revenue funnel with content initiatives to drive & hit conversion & expansion goals
- Report on performance of team initiatives (in partnership with the data & analytics team) to executive leadership
What Well Expect From You:
- Significant content marketing leadership experience in tech - SaaS experience a plus
- Deep understanding of the developer & technical entrepreneurial mindset, & the needs of small & medium developer teams
- Results focused with strong prioritization skills & win as a team mentality
- Experience with marketing automation (Marketo) & sales automation/CRM (Salesforce.com) reporting & campaign features with an understanding of how to measure content performance
- Creative thinker with outstanding interpersonal & communication skills
- Prior success leading teams through market expansion & periods of high growth & rapid change
- Experience in a successful startup or emerging growth technology company that markets to developers is an asset
- Organized with strong time management & project management skills
- Leads by influence, empowers teams & develops employees & creates an environment where team members are encouraged to take risks & innovate to improve programs, processes, personal skills & customer experience
- Customer focused, collaborative, self-aware, servant leader who contributes to & thrives in a culture of trust, transparency, initiative, respect, enthusiasm, fun, accountability & the ownership principle that the companys success is my success
- BA/BS degree - MA, MS or MBA preferred
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!