Topic Studios is looking for a Communications Associate to work with a growing & busy Communications & Events team that is seeking a new member interested in growing in this field. The ideal candidate should be interested in communications & event planning & ideally have solid, basic skills working in entertainment or PR. This person will juggle a variety of tasks to assist PR efforts across Topic Studios, including administrative support to the Chief Communications Officer & VP of Comms in the small but very busy department. In addition to publicity-related work, this role will also assist with events (virtual & in person), setting up press announcements, ensuring company news is updated & shared, & a host of other crucial objectives needed in aiding the vital PR function of a growing entertainment studio.
- Help build & update press lists/send out press releases, e-blasts, studio newsletter & PR assets (photography, clips, trailers, press notes, screeners, etc.) to members of the media & studio partners
- Draft award submissions & keep track of running awards calendar
- Provide administrative support for Chief Comms Officer & VP of Comms which includes scheduling meetings & travel arrangements, handling expenses, processing invoices, & general office duties
- Build & manage Communications & Event calendars
- Maintains all internal communications files
- Coordinate with studios internal creative team to ensure we have access & an archive of any visuals used for publicity purposes
- Coordinate & book flights, hotels, cars for press-related talent travel as part of festival, publicity, or other event appearances
- Monitor, collect & send out press clips company-wide weekly
- Manage & update press status reports & target media lists as needed
- Create & manage talent/client contact sheets
- Update the general news section of studios website regularly
- Manage billing, prepare forms, submissions, & timely processing for payment for corporate card & any relevant vendors working with Communications & Events team (PR Firms, Cision, sponsorships, vendors, etc.)
- Assist in event planning as needed (screenings, live shows, internal events, virtual events, film/TV festivals, etc.)
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as required
- Opportunity to write (press releases, bios, briefing docs, other press materials)
Background & Qualifications:
- 2-3 years experience in PR, preferably in the entertainment industry with the intent to learn & grow.
- Ability to be flexible & multitask while still adhering to deadlines within a fast-paced environment
- Strong time management skills
- Diligent & pays excellent attention to detail
- Able to work autonomously & be proactive
- Highly motivated & willing to take initiative
- Good communication skills & a positive attitude towards collaboration & teamwork within the department
- Highly creative, ability to think outside the box.
- Knowledge of Cision, Klavyo, Meltwater & IMDB Pro a plus
- College degree
- Comprehension of financial & accounting terms & procedures
- Ability to interact in a professional manner across all levels with internal & external individuals, especially members of the media
Compensation (NYC Only): The salary range for this role is $55,000 - $65,000 annually. The salary offered will be determined based on relative experience, skillset & other job related factors.
About FIRST LOOK MEDIA
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, FLM was founded on the fundamental belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & the power of storytelling, are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Medias flagship brands include the award-winning entertainment studio, Topic Studios & its criminally-good streaming service, Topic. FLM continues to expand its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms, as well as through foundational technology, helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer - People of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.