As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Vox Media is seeking a Lead Producer to run The Verges premiere audio show: Decoder with Nilay Patel. You should have deep expertise in the technology & business space with experience producing best in class audio programming. This is a big opportunity to shape the future of The Verges podcast program. Were looking for a highly creative individual with a proven track record producing ambitious shows & growing them to new heights.
In this role you will lead, produce & manage the development, production, workflow, & strategy of The Verges flagship interview format, Decoder. You will identify what makes the show a must-listen, book important & creative guests who represent the top of their fields, & create compelling episodic segments & series for the show. As Lead Producer for Decoder, youll have the chance to shape essential conversations with the most important people in technology, & your work will lead to real impact & change.
The ideal candidate will have the editorial & audio production expertise required to pitch & run with technology & business ideas & turn them into a one of a kind interview show.
What you'll do:
- Make Decoder happen from start to finish. That means youll pitch, vet, & produce episode ideas; handle pre & post-production workflows, lead segment & script development, sound design & editing.
- Be ambitious. Identify & book notable voices, & ensure Decoder has a diverse cast of guests
- Conduct reporting as needed & contribute tape-gathering.
- Deliver the show to the audience, including articles & corresponding art on The Verges website, audiograms, & other deliverables
- Coordinate with social & communication teams on episode promotion.
- Communicate with sales & ad teams when appropriate to assure all ad roll commitments are met.
- Work with Supervising Producer to manage & hire a small team.
- Identify opportunities for the show to evolve & grow, & execute on those ideas.
- Facilitate regular evaluation & feedback of shows creative strengths & growth success.
- Establish a culture of experimentation & lead evolution of show segments & special series over time.
What you'll bring:
- Expertise in technology & business journalism & storytelling, & a passion for the tech news & reporting that are core to The Verge.
- Experience as the editorial/creative lead producer for a successful technology or business podcast or broadcast news program.
- Background in audio production & creative show development.
- Demonstrated skill in audio scripting & mixing.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong leadership & project management skills, will the ability to juggle multiple things at once & work independently as needed.
- A commitment to developing The Verges unique sound & voice in podcasting, & a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
In addition to your cover letter & resume, please review one recent episode of Decoder with Nilay Patel & provide specific feedback on how you'd make the episode stronger. Please also pitch 3 new episode ideas, outlining how these episodes align with your prospective growth strategy for the podcast.
This is a full-time position. Remote applications ok.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Medias portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.