Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is seeking a Product Design Engineer to join our growing team. You will use your technical expertise in mechanical engineering to shape the design & development of a broad range of physical products, including furniture, mattresses & soft goods.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, & is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, & its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, duvets, furniture, & a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, & its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.We are deeply committed to building a diverse & inclusive workforce so that we represent equally all those who dream big.
When youre not catching zzzs, this is what youll do
- Work directly with a team of industrial designers, design researchers, & product managers to develop new mattress, soft goods, & furniture products & lead the continuous improvement of existing products.
- Work in different materials & fidelities, from quick experimental mock-ups to meticulous mechanical prototypes.
- Develop CAD databases & drawing packages to support the development of products & handoffs to manufacturers.
- Research materials & component technologies to scope development opportunities
- Conduct field failure analysis & solution evaluation for production product issues
- Source & engage with manufacturers & vendors
- Work with Manufacturing & Quality teams to launch new products & manage ongoing improvements on in-market products.
Our dream candidate...
- Is passionate about creating new physical products, with 5+ years of product development experience, ideally with a focus on furniture, soft goods, and/or consumer products
- Is experienced working with a variety of materials including, but not limited to, polyurethane foam, textiles, upholstery, plastics, metals, & wood.
- Supports design decisions with engineering calculations, research, & experimentation.
- Strong foundation in mechanical engineering fundamentals, including solid mechanics & thermodynamics, & knowledge of basic engineering materials & manufacturing processes
- Experience in performing tolerance analyses
- Proactive problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, & DOE creation
- Is skilled in SolidWorks 3D CAD
- Basic GD&T knowledge & experience releasing 2D drawings
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Has shipped product.
- Experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Has experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), requirements management tools and/or configuration management
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, & equity so that youre part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, & dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you have some savings for later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy & fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Free snacks & coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if youre feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!