Are you ready to dive into high-impact, ground-breaking projectsthe more challenging the better? You may be the perfect fit for Warby Parkers Research & Development team. When the company is blocked & the path forward is ambiguous, we call on R&D to pursue opportunities that are neither well understood nor commercially available. R&D allows Warby Parker to invest talent & funds in endeavors with greater technical risk. Meanwhile, business elsewhere can continue as usual. Despite inherent uncertainty, our initiatives are grounded in clearly stated goals with predetermined milestones. This is achieved through agile research, where we take apart big problems in concrete projects.
As the Director of R&D, youll lead a team of driven people across technical, medical, & project management functions. Well count on you to bring forth a rare combination of strategic analysis & unparalleled optimism in the face of ambiguity. With this form of entrepreneurialism, youll create thoughtful plans based on the strategic objectives of the business. You will also be responsible for managing the budget & timelines of multiple large-scale projects. Sound like your cup of tea? Read on!
What youll do:
- Lead a rigorous yet agile research practice within Warby Parker, responsible for a diverse & balanced portfolio of IP & innovation projects
- Drive the ideation & prioritization of research projects that enable a multi-year business strategy
- Manage & grow a team of cross-functional, skilled researchers
- Scale the R&D function & cost-effectively use a mix of full-time, freelance, university support, & agencies
- Create scalable processes for extracting maximum value from research work by executing in an agile manner; & for documenting & institutionalizing learnings out of research work
- Cultivate relationships with external organizations & individuals to partner on development
- Learn anything & everything necessary to understand which new technologies will make a large positive impact on our business
- Present regularly to Senior Management on progress & key decision points
Who you are:
- Backed by 5+ years of experience in leading an applied research group, as well as 15+ years of total relevant experience
- Armed with an MBA or similar experience in business case analysis & strategic decision making
- An eager networker with great charisma & stellar communication skills
- A strong manager, with an influential leadership style, who has led an organization of at least five people
- An entrepreneurial spirit with iterative approach
- Not on the Office of Inspector Generals List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Expertise in optics, computer vision, or vision-related medical technology
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment & excel under pressure
- Smart budget & resource management
Warby Parker was founded with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels & designing our frames in-house, were able to offer top-quality glasses & sunglasses (plus an uncommonly delightful shopping experience) at a fraction of the traditional going price.