About the Role
As the Senior Associate of Consumer Insights on the Harrys Labs team, you will work collaboratively with the Labs team to identify, evaluate & invest in exciting consumer, market & product opportunities. Our goal is to launch or acquire 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year based on the ideas you will help identify & validate.
The specific mandate of the Senior Associate of Consumer Insights will vary from investment opportunity to investment opportunity. He/she will work collaboratively with the Senior Manager of Insights, Labs, to execute a consumer research plan to test key hypotheses at each stage of our due diligences. He/she will play a key role in the end-to-end execution & synthesis of consumer interviews, quantitative consumer surveys, market segmentations, concept/brand testing, etc.
We want someone who is excited about working across multiple product categories & leveraging both quantitative & qualitative data in creative ways to unearth consumer problems & develop innovative, consumer-centric brands that Harrys can invest behind. This person should be able to both think highly strategically (able to take a wide view & connect dots across information sources) & execute highly tactically (driving down to the most minute details). And, most of all we want a great collaborator who can work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders that make up the Labs team the external groups with which we work.
What you will accomplish:
- Work in partnership with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harrys Labs, to execute both quantitative & qualitative research projects from end-to-end to infuse the consumer point-of-view into all of the Labs Teams processes.
- In the diligence phase, this would include assessing the size & attractiveness of market segments, helping to prioritize consumer segments, & unearthing hard-to-decipher unmet consumer needs.
- Once an opportunity has been identified, the person will work on projects to help guide the development of new brand positioning & product/pricing decisions with insights that drive consumer-centric competitive advantage via efficacy, convenience, value, and/or accessibility.
- Specifically, this person will be:
- Programming & analyzing surveys
- Over time, helping with the initial design of surveys
- Preparing for & attending in-depth interviews, focus groups, & in-home ethnographies, & then synthesizing learnings following the research sessions
- Over time, helping with the initial design of the research & facilitating consumer conversations
- When applicable, helping to manage relationships with research vendors & translate vendor outputs to be most relevant for the Labs team
- Effectively communicating learnings to Labs teams & Harrys leadership by distilling results into essential learnings & actionable recommendations that enable rapid decisions
- Along with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, serve as the voice of the consumer to the Labs team & Harrys leadership as we assess investment opportunities & build new brands/businesses, ensuring our value propositions always improve the consumer experience & journey in the category
- Over time, collaborate with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harrys Labs, to refine the teams insights processes for diligence, target consumer identification, & brand development
This should describe you:
- A Bachelors degree
- 2-4 years of professional experience in consulting, consumer research, or marketing analytics.
- Experience in CPG, consumer retail, and/or brand innovation (whether as a consultant or working internally at a company) is a plus
- While past experience in consumer research is not required, you must demonstrate a strong desire & ability to understand what makes consumers tick & what techniques to use to uncover consumer insight
- Experience in analyzing quantitative data is a must. You should feel very comfortable operating in Excel
- Specific experience in analyzing survey data and/or syndicated consumer data is a plus
- Skilled data storyteller You are comfortable weaving together disparate sources of information into a holistic story with strong recommendations based on market trends & consumer facts
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, passionate about learning about new categories & new businesses in the CPG space.
- Empathic + strong consumer intuition -- you must be able to put yourself in the shoes of consumers, even if they are not similar to you, in order to identify motivations, pain points, & solutions that are unique to those consumers.
- Takes ownership in work; once trained on a type of project, can run with it with limited guidance & even make suggestions to improve the process in the future
- Curious, nearly to a fault Your insatiable desire to get beyond surface level learning & uncover true insight is fueled by asking 2nd, 3rd & 4th order questions.
- Team Oriented: You are highly collaborative & able to quickly establish credibility within the team to impact decisions through both formal & informal influence.
- Resilient: Almost always displays resilience & unwavering focus, regardless of any hiccups, roadblocks or failures they might encounter.
- Scrappy: Ability to be creative with resources & roll up your sleeves to just get stuff done in order to maximize business impact.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harrys Labs
- Advised closely by the VP, Harrys Labs
- You will work on the Harrys Labs team, a small team dedicated to identifying & launching leading next generation CPG brands
- You will also have opportunities to collaborate with the broader Insights team at Harrys across our brands (Harrys, Flamingo)
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
But our ambition doesnt stop there. Our vision is to build the next generation consumer packaged good (CPG) company, investing in, building, & owning a portfolio of omnichannel modern brands across multiple categories within CPG. We plan to leverage our platform & capabilities, & partner with exceptional entrepreneurs & executives to fuel the launch and/or growth of new, disruptive CPG brands. Weve established an organization called Harrys Labs that will drive our investment strategy & decisions on these new opportunities. This is where you come in.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protectivehairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.