Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local there are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. & Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart & Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, & machine learning to connect a thriving community of over 100,000 brands & local retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. With the right tools & insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with these big box & ecommerce giants. Were looking for smart, resourceful & passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement.
Our engineering team owns the code that makes our marketplace work. We care about good engineering practice & love to write software that is secure, tested, easy to maintain, & can scale to millions of users. We build minimum viable products, deploy to production multiple times per day, A/B test customer-facing changes, listen to the data, & iterate.
As a Product Security Engineer, you'll collaborate with us to:
- Deliver core features of our Kotlin/Java 8 server
- Design & build new APIs used by our website & mobile app
- Write integration tests for everything
- Share ownership of our product
- Help the product team continuously improve our customer's experience
- Co-design, co-build, & co-own the privacy & security hardening, mechanisms, & features of product services
- Design, apply, & develop cryptographic primitives to protect data
- Understand how to apply & advise the product team on specific regulatory data privacy & security requirements to the products implementation end-to-end
- Evaluate the security properties & risks of 3rd-party systems & services that we would integrate into our cloud environment to advise the product team of the trade-offs
- Help the engineers around you level-up on their own security reasoning & knowledge
- Manage & triage bug reports with potential security implications
We're excited about you because you have:
- A passion for programming & solving problems with code
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent industry experience
- A love for technology, & an insatiable curiosity for new tools to tackle real problems
- A strong motivation to contribute to a meaningful product that will fundamentally change the way people interact with financial institutions
- Strong desire to perform & grow as a security engineer & educate other engineers
- Demonstrated technical initiative & leadership
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Technologies we use & teach:
- Kotlin, Java 8
- JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, & Protocol Buffers
- AWS KMS & Googles Tink Cryptographic APIs
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, & Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, & Protocol Buffers
- Event-driven architecture
Why you'll love working at Faire:
- We are entrepreneurs: We believe entrepreneurship is a calling & our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business & taking part in the founding process.
- We are using tech & machine learning to level the playing field: We are using the power of technology & data to connect brands & boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 100,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious & resourceful: We always find a way to get the job done & come up with creative solutions to whatever problems are standing in our way. People at Faire are insatiably curious. We lead with curiosity & data in our decision making & reason from a first principles mindset.
Were an on-site team in Kitchener-Waterloo & Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product & engineering leads from Square. Were backed by some of the top investors in retail & tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, & DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, & Salt Lake City. Were looking for smart, resourceful & passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire & our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.