Software Engineer, Metrics & Messaging
The Metrics & Messaging team is responsible for ensuring an interactive workout experience for anyone taking a Peloton class. We build & scale systems that allow members to interact with each other (ie: via high fives) or view their progress (via metrics ingestion).
- Develop, iterate & maintain existing & new microservices that empower innovative & interactive in-class workout experiences for our members
- Evolve existing system architectures powering these services to improve performance & reliability, support multi-region, active/active capabilities & scale our services to handle hundreds of thousands of concurrent users.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to plan & execute a migration strategy from our python Monolith to kotlin based microservices while minimizing risk & avoiding system downtime.
- Certify system availability at scale by leveraging production monitoring/profiling/tracing best practices & load testing tools to discover & mitigate performance bottlenecks
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- Passion for building scalable backend services that supports a rapid growing user base
- Experience building & delivering robust software currently in use in production environments
- Strong understanding of fundamental software engineering principles, data structures & algorithms.
- Good understanding of concurrency & threading, operating system internals, & networking.
- Experience scaling large scale web applications. Good understanding of request processing, caching, queuing, data storage, partitioning, & replication.
- Proficient in at least one programming language, e.g., Python, Java, Kotlin, Go, C++, C.
- Self directed & detail oriented with demonstrated ability to drive a service from ideation (design doc proposal, rallying team support) to completion (implementation of system, unit/service/load testing & automation of deployment to production)
- Request Processing: Restful API endpoint design principles; Load balancing concepts; Communication & RPC protocols such as HTTP, TCP, gRPC. GraphQL experience is nice to have.
- Caching: Memcache, Redis
- Relational Database: Postgres, MySQL, or CockroachDB.
- NoSQL Database: Dynamodb, Elasticsearch
- Monitoring/Tracing/Profiling: Monitoring tools such as Datadog, Tracing tools such as Zipkin or Datadog APM
- Deploy platforms & tooling: Jenkins, Github Actions, Kubernetes
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.