Do you believe that creators should get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers exclusive content & community experiences for creators with established followings. Patreon provides creators with the insight, education, & tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating & energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone & we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a world-class Head of Communications who will work closely with our CEO, Jack Conte, & the rest of the core executive team to increase Patreons brand awareness & amplify the stories of our 200,000+ creators worldwide.
This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative & innovative storyteller, who will explore both new & unique approaches to secure mainstream media coverage & solidify Patreons position as an industry-leading, creator-first platform. This role will oversee all communications efforts, including media relations, thought leadership, original content, social media, content policies & events.
The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced, creative environment along with demonstrated success in managing teams & external agencies. It's critical for the Head of Comms to establish credibility at the executive level in order to drive forward key narratives - both internally & externally - at scale.
What you will do:
- Develop & lead our overall communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with the companys leadership & the needs of our creators.
- In collaboration with data science, product & the creator-facing teams at Patreon, develop engaging narratives surrounding new features, International expansion & key trends within the creative economy
- Work closely with CEO, Jack Conte, to identify & pursue the appropriate media outlets & speaking engagements to successfully showcase Patreons differentiation in the competitive landscape
- Story mine compelling & robust creator stories that portray their creative journeys on Patreon in an emotive & inspiring way, which can be socialized at scale both internally & externally
- In collaboration with outside agencies, lead a robust media relations function, delivering exceptional results by nurturing strong working relationships with lifestyle, creative, business, financial, technology, consumer, & trade media
- Support International expansion efforts by developing a communications strategy for each new region & executing with both speed & efficiency
- Leverage both earned & owned channels to ensure that Patreon is valued appropriately in the eyes of creators, employees, investors, the media, & influencers as an industry leader
- In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, respond proactively to key cultural moments in a creator-first & memorable manner
- Work closely with our trust & safety & legal teams to effectively manage & mitigate internal & external conversations involving content policy matters
- Optimize & advance the strategy & voice for all executive communications, including speaking engagements, media interviews, & internal communications
- Consult & advise executives & the Board on communications matters
- Continue to manage & cultivate a world-class communications team
Skills & experience you possess:
- Senior communications executive with at least 15+ years of work experience leading communications strategy in a creative, high-growth business & technology environment
- Foundational experience in journalism & media relations is desirable, as is the combination of PR agency & in-house leadership roles
- A deep understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey & culture, & the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with crisis communications & change management, & ability to maintain calm under fire
- 10+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, & retain top talent
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional writer & dynamic speaker with experience serving as spokesperson
- Entrepreneurial & a hands-on style with a strong bias for action & results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing & highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, & rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, & accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators & patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains & engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid & Kind. Be extremely caring & extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive & constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You dont know it all, & thats the fun part. Everything gets better when youre curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, & more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, youre growing yourself, your teammates, & Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn