Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide & joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, & The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The work of the Space Operations team is essential to Planets success. Our teams responsibility is to maintain & optimize the health & productivity of the largest constellation of Earth Observation satellites.
As a Space Systems Engineer your mission will be to support day-to-day operations, make assessments based on data analysis, triaging & resolving anomalies, running on-orbit experiments, testing & rolling out software on ground & on-orbit & commissioning satellites.
Because of the scale of our fleet, the core of our operations is automation, so you will be writing & maintaining software critical to operations & aggregating large amounts of data into relevant metrics.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, data oriented, excellent communicator & has the ability to switch context quickly. You will be working in a close collaborative environment, frequently communicating with hardware & software experts from multiple teams across the organization debugging anomalies, improving services & providing feedback from on-orbit experience to inform & help design & operate our next generation of satellites.
Impact Youll Own:
- Perform daily checks on the fleet, test & perform flight software upgrades, debug satellite anomalies, perform on-orbit experiments, create & maintain procedures
- Develop & maintain real time & critical software solutions for operations
- Develop & maintain scripts to aggregate satellite data & generate metrics for system monitoring
- Identify issues & inefficiencies in the full stack of services used in operations using data analysis
- Identify areas of improvement & execute changes to improve the capacity & productivity of the fleet
- Provide feedback to launch, manufacturing & spacecraft engineering based on on-orbit performance metrics, tech demo operations & forecasting models.
- Shape operations for next generation spacecraft
- Implement machine learning solutions to predict & analyze satellite anomalies
What You Bring:
- MSc in engineering or computer science
- Software development experience in Python or equivalent
- Data-driven mindset & comfort with statistical analysis
- Understanding of space environment and/or spacecraft systems engineering
- High motivation to work in a very dynamic environment
- An engineering self-starter mindset of empirically improving the availability & performance of our constellation
- Hands-on can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills & ability to collaborate effectively across many technical teams
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Agile Software development experience
- DevOps experience (e.g. Git, Gitlab, Docker, Jenkins, Bash, Linux, CI/CD, Sentry, Datadog)
- Experience with Space Operations
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
- Experience in machine learning or with optimization tools
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment & flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.