Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
We are seeking a Marketing & Advertising attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal & external relationships, & have an opportunity to influence legal & business strategies.
This position will be a key legal advisor to the company in the areas of Marketing & Advertising law & Intellectual Property rights & will provide subject matter expertise on a broad range of matters that affect the marketing strategy of a growing technology company. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, & legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, & overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career at a law firm, is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position, & has a background in marketing, advertising, trademark, & copyright law. Experience with legal issues related to brand protection is required. Experience with the intersection of marketing & advertising laws with privacy regulations is a plus. Superior analytical skills & a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
What you'll do here:
- Review marketing & advertising concepts & copy in connection with a variety of campaigns & executions - from traditional print, to online campaigns, social media campaigns, & complex promotions - & evaluate substantiation materials to determine whether claims are sufficiently supported.
- Counsel & assist our marketers with all aspects of contests, events, sweepstakes, promotions, & giveaways.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, design, product, communications & other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Lead the management of Mailchimps global trademark portfolio & direct outside counsel in execution of portfolio & enforcement strategies.
- Develop & maintain a repository of resources, standards, & disclosures for internal marketing teams, such as best practices, guidelines, & other required disclosures.
- Contribute to the continuous development & improvement of brand protection strategies & processes.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in international markets to ensure compliance with foreign regulatory requirements related to marketing & advertising.
- Draft & negotiate a variety of agreements related to marketing campaigns - such as agency-client agreements, talent & vendor agreements, media buying agreements, intellectual property & technology licenses, & website terms & conditions.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- You are an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- You have 3 to 8 years of legal experience at a law firm or a combination of law firm & in-house experience
- You have demonstrably strong technical aptitude & business acumen
- You have very strong interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, & build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- You have excellent writing & document drafting skills
- You are a strong strategic thinker & with analytical skills & judgment
- You have a team-oriented attitude & ability to balance multiple tasks & priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You have relevant legal knowledge or experience with advertising law (claim substantiation, false advertising, etc.) & intellectual property (including trade secret, trademark, & copyright law) matters is required
- You have demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business & legal trends in the marketing, technology, & privacy industries
- You have technology experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.