Open to hire New York, NY, Plano, TX, Santa Clara, CA & Remote.
At Peloton, we treat Data as Product - a valuable asset & a critical piece of our decision making process. The mission of the Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department is to provide & maintain a centralized set of core data infrastructure, tools & standards that empowers & enables decentralized teams to accelerate their ability to safely use data to generate actionable insights & product features. Our core guiding principles are 1) enable data as a product 2) ensure data reliability & 3) optimize for data productivity.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to guide the evolution of our data infrastructure as we scale our business. Reporting to the VP of Platform & Data, you will be the first engineer on the newly formed Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department that will help shape the roadmap & build out of the core data infrastructure that will serve as the foundation of all data at Peloton. You will provide technical expertise & leadership around core data systems & tools that serve as the building blocks of our shared data infrastructure. This is a hands-on role in addition to providing technical leadership & architectural guidance. As a part of the Data Infrastructure team, you will be working across a wide range of problems in the data ingestion, data compute, data transport, orchestration & interoperability areas. Some of the few challenges you will work on in your first year are: How do we build a common multi-region event bus that powers the event-driven architecture at Peloton? How do we build a golden pipeline & framework for teams to ingest & expose their data to other teams? How do we build a multi-tenant batteries-included orchestration tool that can be used by teams? What are the compute frameworks we should standardize on for batch & streaming processing? How do we build DSL driven compute frameworks for data engineering teams to adopt across the company?
- Be the voice of the data infrastructure team, adopt & evangelize data mesh principles & event-driven architecture across decentralized product teams & promote the principle of data as a product.
- Be a key technical leader & data expert across the organization, driving multiple Working Groups/ Special Interest Groups to influence key decisions on data architecture & implementation of scalable data infrastructure & tools.
- Take responsibility for the planning, execution & release of data initiatives that span multiple business units & departments, defining architectural vision & provide leadership for teams
- Focus on improving developer productivity, usability, reliability & adoption of core data infrastructure & tools through fast prototyping & feedback, ensuring that the right tool is being built for domain teams.
- Review designs, tech decisions & code, to ensure they are high quality, efficient, data-driven & documented.
- Be the custodian of Pelotons core values promoting collaboration & a bias for action.
- Strong background in distributed systems, event-driven architecture, microservices , data reliability & quality.
- Has prior experience or has active interest in adopting data mesh architecture
- You have experience in a cloud environment like AWS & familiarity with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, Airflow, Glue, Athena & Data Lake Formation.
- Demonstrated experience building & scalding out big data infrastructure preferably at hyper growth companies.
- Well-versed with Python or Scala & experience working on large distributed systems & frameworks like Spark/ Flink.
- You are an excellent communicator & storyteller, communicating concepts & ideas in different formats, depending on context. You can receive feedback while being assertive when needed. You know how to influence decision-making at all levels of the company, working across organizational boundaries using a variety of communication styles & formats.
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality & standards.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, & streaming technology, we create digital fitness & wellness content & products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Together We Go Far means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce & inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice & inequity in our world, & to promote health & wellbeing for all, from the inside out.