Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox & its family of products requires knowledge up & down the stack, & extremely high standards for security & optimization. Beyond the browser, were developing AR/VR, IoT, & voice recognition products that respect & protect privacy.
Grow: Were dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust & responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, & provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration & clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: Were small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of usersultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The Mozilla Firefox Performance team is a community of engineers who care deeply about delivering the fastest browser possible. We are the team responsible for making all parts of the browser go fast.
Our team is geographically-distributed, & working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Windows, Android, Linux, & macOS. Our focus is on finding & fixing things that slow down the browser as well as helping other teams write fast & reliable code to make Firefox excellent for users.
Do you have a knack for finding a needle in a haystack? Do you approach problems by looking at the system as a whole? Do you like making things blazing fast? If so, wed love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Write code & tests, build prototypes, tackle problems, profile & analyze performance bottlenecks
- Learn about a wide variety of problems & solutions across a large, mature codebase (ex: what can slow things down when you have old code talking to new code & what can we do about it?)
- Help to educate engineers on other teams about writing more performant code through code reviews, giving talks, and/or writing documentation
- Work with driven, committed team members to help bring the Open Web to millions of people
- BS/MS in CS, CE or 3+ years relevant work experience
- You have experience improving android application performance
- You take an experimental approach to solving problems (including a sense of measurement, basic statistics, & using experiments to diagnose an issue or prove out a solution)
- Care deeply about making the browser fast (it takes trial & error to make an impact on performance, were looking for someone who is determined & passionate)
- Strong debugging skills
- An interest & ability to work in a distributed team (which requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills)
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Strong background in native application performance (e.g., C, C++, D, Rust, Java/Kotlin)
- Systems experience (multithreading & concurrency, disk I/O, CPU, etc)
- Experience with profiling
- Familiarity with Android or Windows OS application programming, profiling & debugging
We value a variety of voices on the Frontend Performance Team & at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, were serving humanityby maintaining a safe, open internetwhile also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal & professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, & a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn & grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, & each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, & our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds & with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance & put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto & Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents & up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware & software of your choice
- Wellness programswe reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child & elder care, mental wellness, & personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open & free is better than closed & controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform & help create more opportunity & innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say theyre mission-driven. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, & welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors & collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporations staff designs, builds, & distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product the Firefox browser has expanded into a family of products that protects users & alerts them of risks. Mozillas Emerging Technologies group incubated & sponsors Rust Stack Overflows most loved programming language for the last four years & is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, & voice recognition.