Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Accounting Team
The Accounting Team is involved in all aspects of the business ensuring we properly capture, account for, & record all the activities that occur as they occur. We keep the books & records for the Company, help to ensure Thumbtack has appropriate policies & procedures in place, & provide the business with the information in order to make critical decisions in support of Thumbtacks success.
About the Role
As the Senior Analyst of Internal Controls, youll have the exciting opportunity to come into a newly formed team & work closely with all members of the Global Thumbtack Accounting team to implement policies & procedures & controls to support the Companys maturity efforts. This will include an end to end controls assessment, building out an internal controls function within the organization, supporting the roll out of a new controls system, & everything that comes with that. The opportunities are endless & this role will be the person to help build out the control function.
Youll get to grow with a team & have team support while getting to make a huge impact on implementing new systems & processes & putting in place controls to aid the Company in maturing.
- Assist in design & implement global Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) programs including risk identification, control gaps, risk control matrix, proposals around remediation, cross team collaboration on such efforts.
- Work with functional business areas within the organization to support various stakeholders on internal control related matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning & Analysis, IT, HR, & many others
- Prepare documentation supporting conclusions on the operating effectiveness of the company's internal controls over financial reporting, ensuring that the work papers meet internal & professional standards, are aligned with the COSO 2013 framework, & are available to key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Work with business process owners to gain an understanding of the process, & offer recommendations in designing new processes & controls. Assess & make recommendations / suggestions regarding the efficiency & effectiveness of processes & operations
- Document & report the results of internal control testing including remedial actions to senior management, communicating control gaps & deficiencies to process owners & other business leaders.
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including control related matters & discussions & directly interact & manage relationships with external auditors
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties & ad-hoc projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years relevant SOX 404 compliance, internal controls, internal auditing, accounting, & auditing experience within Public accounting, Internal Audit firms, public company or related area.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Related field
- Strong knowledge of financial audit & financial & operational internal control methodologies & terminology (e.g. COSO), as well as the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 & Audit Standard 5, including documentation & testing
- Must be a "self-starter" with a can-do demeanor & a serious desire to have a positive impact on Thumbtack.
- Excellent communication (written & verbal), organizational, analytical & problem-solving skills including the ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Strong attention to detail, organized & thorough with desire for continuous improvement.
- Professional certifications such as CPA/CIA/CISA.
- Experience with NetSuite, G Suite, Visio & / or Lucidchart is a plus
- Experience in performing operational internal audits is preferred but not required.
- Public accounting or internal auditing experience with Big 4 firms is preferred.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.