Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, & grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult & expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware & software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, & more. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We believe everyone should be able to participate & thrive in the economy. So we're building tools that make commerce easier & more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards & NFC payments, & our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, & giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, & fourth location. Let's shorten the distance between having an idea & making a living from it. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, & grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
- Work closely with Industrial Design & Product teams to architect & refine new product concepts.
- Develop rapid prototypes using common prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, machining, etc.
- Design high volume & high cosmetic plastic & metal parts.
- Work closely with cross functional teams such as Electrical Engineering, Factory Test, Factory Quality, & our Operations teams to design & validate new products.
- Forge strong partnerships with our CM's to ensure successful builds.
- Effectively communicate your designs in CAD, Keynote, or PowerPoint, & in front of a group.
Unique aspects to the Square Product Design team:
- Ownership of elements of product & engineering program management especially in early project phases.
- Responsible for tooling bring up & manufacturing design engineering of all new tools & processes.
- Incorporating security elements in our designs for tamper detection & prevention.
- Working with our CM partners in both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) & JDM (Joint Design Manufacturing) models.
- Responsible for reliability testing including putting together a validation plan, leveraging our CM partner's DQE teams to perform the testing, & reviewing, presenting & approving the data.
- Responsible for the sustaining in-production products including early field failure analysis (EFFA), design improvements, rework, & setting ongoing reliability testing specs (ORT)
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design
- Minimum of 3 years direct or equivalent work experience
- Proven mechanical design experience
- Proficiency in industry standard CAD tools - SolidWorks a plus
- Tooling experience, especially parts with high cosmetic requirements
- In-depth understanding of high volume manufacturing processes & DFM
- Extensive experience onsite with contract manufacturers in Asia
- Experience in detailed failure analysis
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis - a plus
Products we work on:
- Square Register
- Square Stand
- Square Contactless + Chip Reader
- Square Chip Card Reader
- Square Magstripe Card Reader
- Dock for Square Reader
- Many more to come.
At Square, we value diversity & always treat all employees & job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, & talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible.