Developer Interfaces Engineering Manager (M3) - Bangalore - Job Description
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Developer Experience business unit, leading the Developer Interfaces Engineering team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining Twilios growing team of engineers in our new Bangalore office as the first Engineering Manager for the Developer Experience Engineering organization. You will have the opportunity to help define our technical & team culture in India. You are excited about the possibilities of building the tools that enable developers to use Twilios services easily across a broad set of languages & frameworks. Our current products include the Twilio CLI (Command Line Interface) & Helper Libraries. These products enable developers from companies across the globe to add the power of Twilios communications & engagement platform to their applications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, can mentor junior engineers, can operate a team independently day-to-day & can collaborate effectively with colleagues & leadership in the U.S.
Twilio is looking for a strong engineering manager who lives the Twilio Magic & has a demonstrated track record of building teams, building products that help developers, has experience with the whole of the development lifecycle from idea to design, requirements to implementation, testing through deployment, & beyond into support. You should also have:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, & teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy & compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, & provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product & architectural vision & a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, & execute on that vision.
- Owned & operated services end-to-end, from requirements gathering & design, to debugging & testing, to release management & operational monitoring
- Broad knowledge of development environments & tools used to implement & build code for deployment
- Demonstrated ability to manage & prioritize workload & roadmaps
- The ability to communicate well - in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers, other engineers, & support teams
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, & communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
As an Engineering Manager (M3), you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD - You will be the first leader in Bangalore for the Developer Experience business, leading the growth & development of the culture for the team. You will be accountable & responsible for the well-being, delivery, & growth of the team. How will you develop a culture of personal & team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- EMPOWER OTHERS & BE INCLUSIVE - You will foster a culture of inclusivity & grow a high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, & can be an expert to lead & mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching & nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- NO SHENANIGANS & DONT SETTLE - Great engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They care about how their product performs & enables customers to succeed. They are intellectually honest, transparent, & work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within & beyond your team?
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE & WRITE IT DOWN - You work closely with your team, other engineering teams, & leaders within the organization using your ability to communicate clearly. Are you able to distill complex thoughts & concepts simply? Are you articulate & concise in written & verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy & understanding even in stressful situations?
- DRAW THE OWL - Youll forge the vision for how your products help customers & meet the goals of the Developer Experience teams at Twilio. Theres no instruction book, its yours to write. Youll figure it out, ship it, & iterate. Youll invent the future, but you wont wing it.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES - Your team will ship great features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers & walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, & deliver the right value at the right time?
The Twilio Communications & Engagement Platform enables companies to integrate communications services directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs with global reach & on-demand huge scale. Twilios CLI & Helper Libraries provide the foundation for developer-customers of Twilio to enable their applications to leverage Twilios platform. The Developer Interfaces team is responsible for enabling developers to use the Twilio APIs easily, be more productive, & quickly bring their ideas from prototype to production to global scale, all on top of Twilio's elastic cloud infrastructure.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Bangalore, India office. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.