BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet. Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a full-time Legal & Business Affairs professional to manage the contract lifecycle for production-related agreements, including talent agreements, asset licenses, & production releases, & to assist with trademark clearance. You will report into our Legal team & work with several BuzzFeed teams including Studio Operations, Physical Production, Production Accounting, & Video & Post production teams (editorial & advertiser-facing). You will be attached to our New York office.
- Independently summarize, review, & negotiate standard production agreements, including appearance, materials, & location releases, asset licenses, talent agreements, & stock library agreements, consulting with attorneys on complex issues.
- Be a client-facing liaison with creatives & with important or essential production operations teams, including teams located in BuzzFeeds UK, Australia, Mexico & India offices.
- Partner with Legal & Business Affairs attorneys for production & content deals, media buys, & other content partnerships.
- Provide regular training & on-the-spot guidance following BuzzFeed production legal policies, including by way of example, child actors, consumer promotions, third-party/intellectual property rights, fair use, legal disclaimers, & other legal issues.
- Help with trademark clearance requests
- Be a project manager for several Legal department programs, both within the production legal environment & as part of cross-team working groups.
- Perform other assignments as directed by your supervisor.
- Bachelors Degree, no JD necessary
- 5+ years working in a Business Affairs, rights clearance, production legal support, or similar role, giving you a working knowledge of third-party/intellectual property (copyright, trademark, right of publicity) usage rights & general content production operations
- Solid contract review & drafting skills
- Experience creating training, processes, & workflows to encourage uniformity & scalability in production lifecycles
- Organized self-starter with a focus on excellence & engagement, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
- Experience collaborating across teams in an evolving organization
- A plus if you also have knowledge of any or all of the following: music licensing, fair use guidelines, trademark portfolio management, prepublication review, & defamation.
FYI just because you dont meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
- A great benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.