Are you building cloud-native microservices or serverless apps? Do you love teaching & showing others how to build those systems & apps?
Cockroach Labs is the company behind CockroachDB, an open source, next-gen, cloud-native distributed SQL relational database. Imagine all the serializable transaction & query power that comes with traditional relational databases combined with the scalability, resiliency & low latency of modern distributed systems & datastores. Thats CockroachDB. Teams can run it themsleves or developers can forget about operations & use a Cockroach Labs cloud hosted database cluster, & even pay as they go with CockroachDB Serverless.
The Cockroach Labs Training Team is hyper-focused on creating the best courses for application developers wanting to learn skills to build modern applications where data is business or mission critical. The Training Team is looking for a Cloud-native or Serverless application developer who loves to share their knowledge & teach others. The role title is Cloud-native/Serverless Technical Curriculum Developer. You will be part of an agile/devops team building online self-paced training courses for Cockroach University.
About the Role
As a cloud-native or serverless-first developer, you know managing state in distributed cloud-native or serverless apps running on Kubernetes or any other container abstraction is a pain if you use legacy SQL databases. And you know, designing & coding the inevitable transactional serializable use cases in those apps is far from straightforward when using noSQL databases, whether in Kubernetes clusters or serverless public cloud systems. Cockroach Labs builds a distributed SQL transactional database that solves these problems.
- Empathize with cloud-native and/or serverless application developers.
- Build cloud-native microservice & serverless applications used in training exercises.
- Create course architectures, learning objectives & course outline with peer Curriculum Developers & subject matter experts.
- Build Cockroach University training course content (video lessons, practical developer exercises, quizzes) collaboratively in teams using Agile methodology & techniques.
- Contribute to defining & evolving the Training teams Agile & DevOps processes.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB, particularly the Cloud versions: CockroachDB Dedicated & CockroachDB Serverless.
- Foster collaboration with our Docs, Engineering, Product, & Customer Success teams to keep our curriculum up-to-date, effective, & user-centric.
- Experience developing synchronous & asynchronous serverless and/or microservice-based systems.
- Knowledge of event-driven-architectures used in microservices apps and/or serverless systems.
- Proficiency building above systems in one or more programming languages (Java, NodeJS, Python, Go, Scala, etc.).
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TTD) & Constant Integration/Constant Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Experience deploying above systems to containerized (Kubernetes) clusters and/or public cloud provider serverless environments.
- Knowledge of one or more object relational mapping and/or persistence frameworks.
- Helped other devs learn by sharing your knowledge & skills: for example, youve presented at meetups or conferences, presented technical demos to customers, mentored colleagues, wrote blogs, taught workshops, wrote training curriculum, etc.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB both in terms of its internals & from the customers perspective/experience, using our documentation, training materials, & technical staff. 3 months in, youll be integrated into the team & partnering with a peer Curriculum Developer to optimize existing content & build out the next Cockroach University application developer courses.
Cockroach Labs mission is to enable every application developer to build world-changing modern applications. The Training Team makes sure we build the training counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy & intuitive. The Training Team is a diverse group with skills in databases, distributed systems, serverless, learning design & video production. Were always learning. We collaboratively develop courses & apps using Agile processes. 2022 will be an exciting year for our managed DB-as-a-service offerings, CockroachDB Dedicated & CockroachDB Serverless. And the Training Team & Cockroach University will be a big part of helping application developers build cool apps with them.
Reporting to Doug Weatherbee - Director of Training
Dougs been passionate about developer learning for over twenty years: for the first 15 years, he was a Java EE & IBM WebSphere instructor, curriculum developer, writer & near the end of those 15 years, a Scala programming language & Akka distributed computing trainer. During the past 6 years, hes led creative teams of other technical curriculum engineers building cloud-native developer content at Red Hat (OpenShift, Kubernetes, Quarkus/Spring Boot/Node.js microservices, Istio Service Mesh) & Lightbend (makers of Scala & Akka). In off hours during the northern hemisphere summer, hes probably walking by the ocean in Nova Scotia, riding an ebike on the Acadian dykelands or playing & composing music. In off hours in the winter, hes hanging out with friends in his second home, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.