About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, & society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity.The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, & increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online atwww.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Program Manager, Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering
DEPARTMENT: Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering (PSSE)
REPORTS TO: Director, PSSE
Work with the Director of Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering to design, develop, & execute the New York Academy of Sciences (the Academy) annual portfolio of symposia & workshops across the spectrum of physical sciences, sustainability & engineering. Work along with leading academic, industry & government scientists & experts from the international scientific, technical & sustainability communities to conceptualize, develop, & manage unique & cutting-edge symposia. Collaborate with a marketing team, development team, publishing team, & logistics teams to promote, fund, create unique web & print products, & execute the symposia, respectively.
- Manage the development & presentation of PSSE symposia, from conception through to completion. This includes program development, review & selection of invited speakers, poster presentations & talks based on submitted materials, & production of post-conference reports & educational dissemination materials.
- Work with the development team to identify opportunities to generate financial support for each symposium. Maintain relationships with our supporters & cultivate new relationships within the community.
- Support the submission by the development team of content-driven grant proposals to relevant foundations, academic institutions, corporations, government agencies, & other potential supporters.
- Engage the Academys PhD physicists & chemists to consult on conference program topics & identify potential organizing committee members & speakers.
- Assist the Marketing Department in creating a marketing plan(s) for program promotion. Draft scientific copy for marketing collateral.
- Work closely with Academy staff across multiple departments to ensure efficient coordination of conference logistics, speaker travel & accommodation, marketing, website, dissemination, & publicity. Track progress of conference against milestones & ensure timely escalation of any issues.
- Track current trends in physical sciences, sustainability, & technology in order to ensure Academy symposia are timely, unique, & of high impact.
- Nurture close ties with a network of leading organizations, researchers, & institutions in academia, government, & industry.
- Identify & recruit leading experts as conference organizers, collaborating with them to develop outcome-oriented & high-impact programming focused on key research questions & critical issues.
- Work with the Director to develop & adhere to conference budgets. Discuss financial obligations & parameters with partners & supporters.
- Liaise with the publishing staff to ensure timely electronic and/or print dissemination of conference proceedings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physical sciences, computer science or engineering with significant subsequent experience in an academic research, industry, scientific publishing, or related setting. Preference given to candidates with expertise in computer science and/or data science & related topics.
- Outstanding oral & written communication skills. Experience, ability, & comfort in dealing with complex scientific & technical information beyond own area of expertise.
- Experience with grant writing & program management a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple teams across departments & to manage multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets & bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions & privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, & any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter & salary to be considered.