Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
About the Role
We're looking for experienced backend software engineers to join our team.
- Design, code, & test across our distributed, open source database, CockroachDB. You bring your expertise to the table to help us build the best database for our users, partners, & customers.
- Collaborate withdesigners & engineers both in-house & in our open source community todesign,implement, & integratenew features & tools into CockroachDB.
- Improve the performance of CockroachDB.
- Make sure that our products stay scalable, survivable, andconsistentas we continue to grow as a company.
In your first 30 days,you willbecome an integrated member of our engineering team.We believethat it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team.You willbe comfortable contributing to CockroachDB's backend stack.You willbegin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you & work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas & the product roadmap.
As our team grows,you will have the opportunity toshape the direction of development for CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, & youplay a crucial role in makingCockroachDB a joy to use.
- Been pursuing a degree in Computer Science or related technical field, graduating between December 2019 & June 2020.
- A passion working on complex technical products & have exposure to distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Comfort using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, & Python. We use Go on the server side, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- A love for building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process & partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Genuine interest in Cockroach Labs' mission & are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects.
- Bonus points if you were a TA or Head TA for a CS course.
Note: Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, & we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.
You will have the opportunity toreport to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs.
Co-founder&VP of Engineering
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining theoveralldesign. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi & then learned the true meaning of scalability while working onGmailand Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction & dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 5:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Andy Kimball - Engineering Manager
After 16 years working at Microsoft on data access technologies, Andy decided he wanted to try something entirely new. So he spent the next 18 months working in a photo sharing startup, & after that 4 years at Square providing loans to small businesses. He has enjoyed getting back into data & system-level programming here at Cockroach Labs. Hes based out of the SF Bay Area & spends his free time with his wife & 4 kids
Jordan Lewis - Engineering Manager
Jordan joined Cockroach Labs to work on the best new database on the block with the people who know how to make it great. Before joining Cockroach Labs, he was improving education at Knewton, where he worked on providing real-time content recommendations for students at scale. Outside of work he enjoys rock climbing at the gym & outdoors, singing, & playing board games.
Kendra Curtis - Engineering Manager
Kendra has 20+ years of experience in all levels of the software stack, from early days writing firmware for wireless networking products at Wi-LAN, to managing teams of developers building Web Applications at Google. Kendra worked on Google's early data centers. She was a member of the Management team responsible for the integration of DoubleClick (DCLK) into Google. She was a Co-founder & CEO of Scout It Out, a listing service for Rehearsal Spaces. Kendra joined Cockroach Labs because she loves building great teams & values work-life balance. Outside of work she enjoys skiing, acting, & walking in the park with her dog, Lady.
- 100%health insurancecoverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave(with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off&flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building adiverse & inclusiveworkforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.