Company Description|Job Description
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay & be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision & the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people & businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash & checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics & FIFA World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, & excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience & security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team & find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands & innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, & is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform Department is in the center for many of these technologies & development.
The Data Platform team is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched & valuable ecosystem of data platform & data services that drive innovation for our partners & clients, within Visa & globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data
Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning & Big Data), systems & services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, & easy to use, therefore enabling Visa the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective & timely manner to maximize technology/business development & differentiate Visa from others in the
payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business & external clients.
The Data as a Service (DaaS) Data Assets Group in the Data Platform Department develops techniques, platforms, systems, & services to ensure the data pipeline development & services are efficient, high quality, rich, & easy to use.
Visa is seeking a Software Development Sr. Director as the head of the DaaS Data Assets Group. Inthis role, you will build & grow a world-class team of software engineers to develop data related techniques, platforms, systems, & services end to end. You will initiate processes that allow your DaaS Data Assets team & other Data Platform teams to collaborate with local as well as global teams with a high degree of efficiency. You will empower & motivate individuals on innovation & execution. Your team needs to collaborate with Project Managers, Product Managers, architects, & SMEs across the company on high impact data related initiatives.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CAand reports to the Vice President of the Data as a Service (DaaS) Department. The ideal candidate will have very strong leadership on both technology side & people side with rich industrial experience in the big data and/or large scale software platform areas.
- Hightalents & performed team -- build, grow, & lead the DaaS Data Assets development group to develop end to end technical solutionswhile fostering innovation, leveraging new technologies, & strongcustomer centered service mindset.
- Developstrategies & roadmaps to meet business objectives with existing oremerging technologies in your area.
- Responsiblefor the overall development life cycle of the products & services in theDaaS Data Assets area.
- Applycreative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that furtherbusiness goals & align with corporate technology strategies, keeping inmind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security,flexibility, & cost.
- Provideresource plans, budget tracking & forecasting. Manage the team toachieve target scope, schedule & cost objectives.
- Instillbest practices for software development. Drive for engineering excellenceincluding automation, quality, efficiency, & productivity. Providetechnical guidance to the team including architecture, design, & codereviews.
- Projecttask prioritization, planning of projects & features, stakeholdermanagement & tracking of external commitments.
- OperationalExcellence: monitoring & operation of production services includingunderstanding user experience & ensuring happy customers throughcollaborating with your product support team.
- Bachelordegree or higher in a technical field such as computer science andcomputer engineering.
- Experiencedemonstrating strong leadership, self-motivation, accountability, & teamplayer.
- 10+years of experience managing & leading development teams.
- 10+years of hands on software development experience.
- Strongbusiness & technical vision.
- Provenexperience managing the software development of highly availableenterprise level applications & platforms utilizing technologies such asJava, Spring, JSON, Rest, XML, relational databases, bigdata, Hadoop, etc.
- Technicalbackground in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areassuch as data management, data analysis, query processing, distributedprocessing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learningand operational excellence of production systems.
- Strongat technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics.Good knowledge & experience on measuring a service from a userexperience angle.
- Strongat identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions.
- Thinkstrategically. See patterns andrelationships in information & events; clarify & simplify complexinformation; anticipate trends & possibilities that may lead to newbusiness opportunities; consistently think & act ahead of the curve;anticipate & effectively respond with urgency to immediateopportunities; executes plans vigorously & with flexibility; operateproactively; identify & address long-term opportunities.
- Abilityto represent technical & business issues & solutions to multiplelevels internally & externally to support organizational plans.
- Abilityto work in a complex organization to determine business & customerneeds, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Abilityto handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptionalcollaboration & partnership skills with the ability to work in a globalenvironment & drive consensus in cross-functional teams.
- Personalcharacteristics include a natural intellectual curiosity, thrives infast-paced environments, natural ability to form partnerships andcollaborates well across a diverse work group.
- Excellentoral, written & presentation skills. In particular, a demonstratedability to effectively communicate technical & business issues andsolutions to multiple organizational levels internally & externally.
- Strongcustomer centric mindset.
- Experiencein data Platform as a Service (PaaS) & Data as a Service (DaaS) isstrongly preferred.
- Paymentindustry experience is a plus
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.