Were hiring a Director of Audience Development.
About our team & what well build together
theSkimm is seeking an experienced Director of Audience Development to grow our audience by dramatically scaling the visibility & distribution of our products & content through off-channel distribution & creative partnerships. This is a collaborative role that demands creativity, editorial chops, & a deep understanding of product & data. Youll work with partners across the company to grow & engage theSkimms audience through newsletters & off-platform campaigns, supporting our mission by collaborating closely with Content & driving how our products connect with our audience.
How youll contribute to our mission
- Develop creative partnerships which drive growth at scale
- Strategically manage & expand traditional affiliate partnerships focused on audience data acquisition
- Negotiate business terms with terms with external parties to drive business performance while ensuring sustainable economics
- Partner with leaders & notable figures with substantial followings within each vertical to better amplify & grow our audience.
- Conduct thorough & ongoing analyses of competitors content & distribution to inform our efforts.
- Analyze the performance of historic & newly published articles across key metrics & use these insights to guide the future content direction
- Ignite, study, & make the case for new formats of content development & storytelling.
- Assist Editors & Writers by determining what content best serves our new & existing audiences & guiding them on how to best capture these audiences.
- Interpret data from the Analytics team to create meaningful, actionable recommendations for the Growth & Content teams
- Develop & implement a new audience segmentation strategy
- Help facilitate effective training on marketing-related topics to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders are properly educated on how to infuse the best marketing tactics into their content, initiatives, & publications to maximum impact.
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- Significant relevant experience & a successful track record of growing & cultivating digital audiences & achieving measurable audience or subscriber goals
- Experience with audio content is a plus
- A track record of building fruitful external partnerships with media & promotional trade partners, platforms, vendors, & community groups
- Experience with testing & experimentation & deep proficiency digesting & synthesizing data to turn it into actionable insights for stakeholders across the organization
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly & transparently across teams & job functions, with an eye toward solutions & building buy-in
Why we love working here
We are mission driven & values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand for women by helping them maneuver through lifes necessities. We are providing this community with information & resources so they have the ability, agency & confidence to live their smartest lives. Every role has a purpose & allows us to equip & enable women to make their best decisions, feel more educated & have the right knowledge at the right time.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work & our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us support this incredible brand & take part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each & every day.
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- Hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- Generous paid parental leave
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates lead by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Two opportunities each year for our entire organization to come together IRL in NYC
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
Were a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, we have become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way our audience consumes news & makes decisions. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & we continue to innovate, find new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. Our product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done! We continue to grow the breadth of our offerings in lifes necessary categories & by expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, our ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation - & the ones that follow - in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.