Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development & support, our people can achieve anything. We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, & providing a holistic approach to benefits & wellbeing.
About the Role
The Director of Organizational Development will be a key leader on Thumbtacks People Leadership Team, developing & driving the execution of an Organizational Development vision & strategy. You will partner closely with HR & business leaders to understand & improve the health, caliber & performance of our employee base through world class, scalable programs. This role reports to the Head of People & is virtual-first, in line with our Future of Work vision.
- Define a vision & strategy for Organizational Development at Thumbtack to support the growth of our business, organization & employees
- Own the execution & improvement of existing programs, including performance management, onboarding, engagement surveys
- Own the prioritization, design, implementation & execution of future programs including, but not limited to, learning & development, manager & leadership development, talent reviews & succession planning
- Monitor, understand & respond to employee sentiment & feedback, organizational trends, & business needs to ensure OD programs address critical needs & reinforce business priorities
- Partner with business leaders, HR Business Partners, DEI, People Analytics, Recruiting, HR Ops, Compensation & Benefits to ensure programs are effectively designed & implemented & reinforce broader People Team goals
- Develop a long term vision for the team, external partnerships, systems & tools
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in talent management, organizational development, performance management and/or learning & development
- 5+ years as a people manager & team builder
- Excellent written, verbal & presentation communication skills
- Operational rigor & program management skills
- Strong analytical skills & systems thinking
- High levels of ownership, initiative taking, scrappiness & desire to build something great
- Facilitation & training experience
- Experience working with remote / distributed teams
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.