Stack Overflowis the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share knowledge, & build their careers. More than 50 million professional & aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, & find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, & enable the worlds developers. Our products & services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, & enterprise knowledge sharing.
As the Controller, you will lead the accounting function for the organization. This will include overseeing the month-end close process, accounting operations (including accounts payable, accounts receivable/billing, expense reimbursements, payroll, & stock option administration), tax compliance, cash management, & insurance. In this high impact role, you will report to the EVP of Finance & Operations & supervise an accounting team of 6. You will work directly with the Senior Leadership Team & Department Heads to implement systems, improve processes & establish accounting policies for our next stage of growth.
What youll do:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of accounting team to produce timely & accurate financial information for management & external reporting purposes
- Develop & execute roadmap for implementing/improving processes & controls to scale the accounting function & safeguard assets
- Establish operational metrics & cadence for financial reporting
- Maintain 13 week cash forecast
- Develop strategy for future system implementations & enhancements/upgrades including the implementation of Zuora, Xactly & Avalara
- Hire, manage & coach a strong, performance-oriented accounting organization, capable of growing with the business
- Provide subject matter expertise on implementation of accounting policies & the accounting for complex transactions
- Manage the audit processes & proactively communicate with auditors on accounting for complex transactions
- Ensure compliance with domestic & international tax compliance requirements
Candidates will find success in this role if:
- You're excited to work cross-functionally & learn how to best support different departments
- Youre comfortable identifying & executing the highest priority projects, but know when to escalate or ask for help
- You present clear & well-documented work that can be easily followed by a non-financial person. You can make financial results digestible & are comfortable in one-on-one meetings to through all-hands presentations
- You are a CPA, have experience working in public accounting & in-house at a late-stage venture backed SaaS company
- You are very comfortable working with industry standard accounting software. We currently use Intacct as our ERP, Zuora as our billing platform & various supporting softwares such as bill.com, Floqast, Avalara, Expensify, ADP & Xactly.
- 10+ years of accounting experience in a senior accounting or financial management role
- Successful candidates must have an active CPA license
- Experience preparing consolidated financial statements across multiple entities, including international accounting
- Must be a hands-on, roll up your sleeves type Controller that enjoys a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Solid knowledge of US GAAP & SaaS/Adtech revenue recognition models
- BS/BA or equivalent degree in Accounting or other related field
- Public accounting experience is a strong plus
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced & dynamic environment with all levels of employees
- Solid organizational, analytical, & problem-solving skills
What youll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Great office w/ espresso bar, games, & free daily lunches
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.