As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Data Analytics Manager will join a growing team responsible for helping scale our growing advertising business. You will be a key member of the Vox Insights & Innovation group, working to build out & maintain the existing reporting systems that the team uses to supply insights & analytics to key stakeholders across the revenue organization. This person will report into the Senior Manager of Data Solutions.
Your work around scaling our data infrastructure will translate into high-quality & actionable outputs intended to streamline how we report on our advertiser campaigns & help unlock business opportunities. Day to day, this role will include implementing effective methods to improve data accessibility across the organization by working within our existing data lake & business intelligence tool to make that data available to our key stakeholders. Not only will you influence how the data translates in our ecosystem (from naming conventions to determining metric calculation methods), you will also have oversight into how that data is visualized by way of dashboards & other data solutions all in support of our revenue organization & its clients.
This is an individual contributor role. The impact is driven by aligning with stakeholders to drive projects related to growing analytical awareness & make our client facing teams more efficient.
What youll do:
- Work with internal teams to understand Voxs many different product & data needs in order to help remove roadblocks by way of developing efficient data streams for performance reporting
- Own the design, development, & maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, & other data solutions to drive key business decisions
- Model raw data from our data lake from new data sources into meaningful, reliable, & well-documented summary tables to enable new areas of analysis across our data ecosystem
- Maintain existing data pipelines to ensure all of our data is accurate, with the ability to track down & resolve errors (whether thats communicating with external data providers, internal data engineering team or something else)
- Effectively communicate technical requirements to engineers & non-technical requirements to the business - keep in mind our data solutions are used by people with various levels of data literacy
- Design & automate data ingestion processes & always be thinking about the data architecture & the integrity of your data with with an eye toward eliminating redundant data maintenance
- Document existing processes, workflows & dataflows & make recommendations that contribute towards efficiencies & team/business structure decisions
- Train & assist organization on getting the most out of available tools
- Exhibit deep analytical ability, & develop great expertise in proprietary metrics, working to constantly evolve how we analyze & communicate data-driven insights for our ad products
- Develop deep understandings of all vendors & offerings we leverage, including being able to owner relationships with them & vetting new vendors/tools
What youll bring:
- BS in computer science, engineering, science or any analytical field with 5+ years analytics experience (data architect, data engineering is a plus)
- Fluent in SQL (Working in Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services a plus) with the ability to write, debug & optimize SQL queries
- Advanced fluency with Business Intelligence / visualization tools (Looker, Tableau, Chartio, etc)
- Experience with R, MySQL, Python, or VBA a plus, but not required
- Digital advertising experience a must
- An understanding of how data pipelines work, from data collection, transformation, validation, & ingestion. Experience with these is a plus.
- Knowledge of web analytics tools & measurement (such as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly etc)
- Experience managing relationships with data engineers (i.e. working knowledge of JIRA & sprint workflow) to scale work & reduce redundancy
- Experience with Ad Management platforms such as Google Ad Manager, Facebook Ads Manager a plus, but not required
- Proven ability to design, manage & prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Smart & quick proactive learner with organizational agility & strong attention to detail
- Willingness & ability to learn
- A proven track record of strong interpersonal skills & successful teamwork & collaboration
- Excellent communication, project management & quantitative skills
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.