Schoology, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content & systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty & administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools & higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment thats fun, collaborative & innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education & aren't afraid to show it.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Given our explosive 2x user growth each of the last few years, & our best-in-class retention, were looking to add to our Product Operations team (aka DevOps). Since we expect that growth to continue into late 2018 & 2019, youll help us first scale our existing infrastructure.
Equally as important, well look to you to help us balance working with our existing technologies/infrastructure & move forward with new technologies that support our award-winning platform, Schoology.
Our plan is to move to a more supportable PaaS infrastructure where developers own their code as it goes out into production, & youll play a central part in making that happen.
Youll be working with a team of engineers with a diverse skill set to deliver software in a measurable, reliable way, as well as help build a resilient, monitor-able, scalable platform.
We like the DevOps philosophy here! Collaboration & a common goal align us to deliver a pleasant experience, both for our customers, as well as the development team were all a part of.
- Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal.
- Expertise in writing with ruby, python, or any other interpreted scripting language.
- A solid grasp of web application architecture.
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a "continuous deployment" environment.
- Familiarity with Bamboo & Git, or any other continuous integration or revision control system.
- Experience working with cloud-computing service providers like AWS.
- Experience with containerization. We use Docker. Bonus points for experience in any of the modern container orchestration frameworks, such as Kubernetes.
- Support & manage our AWS-based infrastructure, from web & data layers in both VMs & containers, to security groups, VPCs, load balancers, autoscaling, & cloudformation.
- Optimize & troubleshoot performance issues for our databases, which include MySQL, Redis, MongoDB and Cassandra.
- Participate in project-based work across the organization, as both a contributor, as well as a collaborator bringing operational experience leadership to other teams.
- Work on our Chef infrastructure, writing cookbooks, & providing code reviews.
- Automate! We work in python, ruby and bash, primarily.
- Provide operational support to our SaaS platform, helping to troubleshoot our platform, as well as participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Help expand & support our continuous deployment pipeline.
Bonus points for:
- A bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Experience in any of the modern container orchestration frameworks, such as Kubernetes.
- Experience working with golang.
- Recent experience supporting a SaaS platform, or other similar distributed system.
- A self-starter who thrives in a fluid, fast-paced, evolving environment.
All team members at Schoology are expected to embody our core values which are Passion, Collaboration, Innovation, Curiosity & Integrity.
Our mission is to continuously advance what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer & embraces diversity of every kind.