Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development & support, our people can achieve anything. We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, & providing a holistic approach to benefits & wellbeing.
About the Role
As the Head of Employee Experience, you will bring our Future of Work vision to life to create a world class virtual-first culture steeped in our values. You will be a key leader on the People Team & partner closely with leaders across the company to develop & drive our events, community & real estate vision.
- Lead the Employee Experience (EX) team
- Translate our Future of Work vision to an actionable strategy, plans & OKRs
- Define & oversee the implementation of an in-person events strategy for our annual company event (Camp Thumbtack), quarterly team offsites & other special events
- Develop an employee engagement & community vision to create a vibrant virtual-first culture
- Develop our long term library vision, manage our existing real estate footprint (San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, Manila) & ensure employees can effectively work from home in partnership with our Benefits & IT team
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in employee engagement, events, community or people programs
- 5+ years as a people manager & team builder
- Obsession with creating a strong culture rooted in our values
- Strong cross-functional collaboration
- Excellent written, verbal & presentation communication skills
- Operational rigor & program management skills
- High levels of ownership, initiative taking, scrappiness & desire to build something new
- Experience working with remote or distributed teams
- Workplace / facilities experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.