Company Description Job Description
BlaBlaCar's vision is to bring fairness, freedom & fraternity to the world of travel.
BlaBlaCar was created in 2006 with one dream in mind: fill the millions of empty seats on the road to create an efficient, affordable & friendly way to travel. Today, our global, trusted community counts 75 million members in 22 countries, enabling a smarter, large scale & truly sustainable transport network.
Born from a simple idea of people sharing their rides, BlaBlaCar's ambition is to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility. We offer long distance carpooling service, a commuting carpooling service, & since 2018 a marketplace bus service too. A filled bus emits one third of the emissions per passenger kilometer as an average car. So we want to fill those seats too!
In 2018, 84 million travellers used BlaBlaCar globally saving 1.6 million tons of CO2. Meanwhile we enabled human connections, bringing people closer together in more ways than one with 87% of members say that carpooling is an enriching experience.
BlaBlaCar offers a truly & unique international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices in Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), So Paulo, Warsaw. English is the official spoken language across BlaBlaCar. We are privately-held & founder-led. Our team of 500 employees is entrepreneurial, passionate, & fundamentally mission-driven.
Why join us?
One of BlaBlaCar's core ambitions is to build the largest people-powered travel network in the world. To achieve that goal, we set ourselves high & ambitious targets, bringing tech & data to the heart of a renewed product experience & company strategy.
By joining our Engineering team, you will be managing our SPA team composed of 8 talented front-end engineers (to date).
The team is in charge of 3 migrations:
- Migrate the BlaBlaCar website from a PHP monolith to a single page application in React (80% of traffic already migrated to the new website).
- Migrate to a new design system
- Rebuild the product to include our new BlaBlaBus
What you will directly contribute to:
As Engineering Manager, your role will be to ensure your team works in the most impactful & efficient way towards the company objectives. You'll be responsible for building & sharing a tech vision, ensuring project delivery & developing your team. Reporting to the Head of Front-end Engineering, you'll have autonomy in defining processes & the split of roles among your team. You'll be accountable for results rather than processes.
- Build your team's roadmap, be accountable for its delivery & proactive communication to key stakeholders, according to business priorities;
- Define the mid- & long-term technical strategy, ensuring quality of the code output, technological choices like definition of the APIs & alignment with product projects;
- Manage & develop a team of Software Engineers with various seniority levels (progression path, training, hiring, etc) including people working remotely with the objective of doubling the team over 12 months;
- Apply & share best practices across the Engineering team & the company as a whole following one of our principles Share More. Learn More;
- As a privileged & qualitative speaker for both Product & Operational team, you'll proactively evaluate technical feasibilities, participate to functional projects definition & be able to suggest technical solutions to complex situations.
What you will need to be successful:
- 5-8 years experience in engineering teams within hyper-growth tech companies;
- At least 2 years of management experience in a software development team context;
- A deep interest in people & high impact leadership;
- Support & inspire an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals;
- Great ability to communicate with internal & external stakeholders;
- Strong track record in technical contribution;
- Experience in building performant web applications;
- Knowledge in working with agile methods;
- Comfortable with change, uncertainty & a high velocity environment;
- A first experience in organizational change & transformation is a strong plus;
- Entrepreneurial, hands-on, pragmatic & collaborative attitude;
- Fluent in English, French is a plus.
A few practical details about the role
Start: As soon as you are ready!
Location: Paris HQ
Contract: Permanent contract (CDI)
Compensation: Competitive package based on experience
What we offer all of our employees
The opportunity to have a meaningful impact, building a CO2-saving global travel network enabling strong human connections too;
A strong Fun & Serious company culture;
An international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices around the world (Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), So Paulo, Warsaw);
State-of-the-art office spaces, in a great location;
A start-up spirit grounded in agility & teamwork;
Challenging career opportunities in a high-growth & fast-paced environment;
Bi-Weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn from each other;
Weekly Tech Demos, so that we're all up to date with where our product stands;
And some other great perks!
Free carpooling to live our value Be The Member;
Annual BlaBlaBreak which takes us all for an unforgettable weekend;
Possibility to work from another BlaBlaOffice abroad for a week once a year (BlaBlaSwap);
The choice between the latest Mac or PC equipment;
Opportunity to attend Tech conferences in France & Europe.
What is next?
If you are ready to join our exciting journey, please apply below: upload your resume in English (PDF format) & answer our questions in English.
Kindly note that only complete applications will be reviewed by our hiring team & that all your information will be kept confidential.
You can expect us to review your application within the following 3weeks. If your application & profile fit our requirements, we will invite you for a (list the different steps of the process here).
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity & are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.