At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
The client tooling & release teams are responsible for turning changes from our teams of mobile developers into rock-solid experiences for our app users. The client tooling team supports the fundamental build & development infrastructure for our suite of mobile applications, from our leading edge Bazel-based build set up through to our IDE & CLI experience for mobile developers, & our CI, caching & remote execution infrastructure. Our release team builds the tools & pipelines to ship binaries safely & reliably to our users, working closely with our team of release managers to ensure that the release train is visible & viable, & that patches are efficiently incorporated.
As the engineering manager for the Client Tooling & Release teams you will use your technical experience to lead a team of engineers in pushing the boundaries of mobile engineering excellence. You will lead a team that is inclusive, helpful, & has a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. The team looks to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, & honest feedback. The team moves fast while supporting a broad spectrum of mobile developers & use cases, & relies on their leadership to build relationships across the company & ensure they are delivering what Lyft needs at the right time.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code & tackle hard engineering problems around large scale mobile applications
- Actively engage with the broader community via initiatives like the Mobile Native Foundation
- Work with mobile engineers & managers across Lyft to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback & understand their goals to build & prioritize a roadmap for your org
- With the help of your team members, educate engineering on best practices for building stable & performant apps
- Encourage & enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability
- Create & evolve sustainable processes & tools for operations through automation, self-service & reducing complexity
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members; help develop their careers & assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, & respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, & recognize the individual strengths & contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical & resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams code, architecture, & processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- You have a technical background & familiarity with large-scale mobile application development, including dependency management, IDE support & different forms of testing.
- You have experience with build systems such as Bazel or Buck & of surrounding infrastructure such as CI, caching & artifact stores.
- You have familiarity with mobile release processes to the Apple App Store & Google Play Store.
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, & execution of work
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels, & youre skilled at guiding them through their career development
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, & preferably have experience working with engineers as customers
- You believe in building both teams & products that scale; actively work on reducing technical debt & all operational issues are root caused
- You have a strong focus on metrics & know how to measure the health of engineering teams
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, & youre committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate & instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You think ahead & build for the future
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.