Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Manager, Technical Accounting to join our Accounting team in our New York office.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform & a relentless focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselvesone that behaves like a doctor in the family.
About the role
We are looking to establish a role devoted specifically to technical accounting, you will be the first in this role & we want someone who is motivated & is excited about solving complex accounting problems with an operational & business mindset.
You will be an important member of the accounting team, reporting directly to the Director of Accounting, & formalizing our accounting technical & research activities. You will work with teams both inside & outside the finance organization, such as our accounting operation team, Actuarial team, FP&A team, & the external auditors.
As a manager, you will be positioned to work directly with a variety of teams to summarize & document accounting implications & assisting with implementation where applicable.
- Coordinate with our business team on any future planning activities & begin to outline accounting issues that are on the horizon.
- Work on technical memos in service of the PWC SAS 100 review of our initial 10Q filings.
- Support all documentation & memo writing
- Help with presentations & white papers on accounting processes & emerging issues
- Work with the SEC reporting team & the Statutory reporting team for any research-driven projects.
- 5+ years of experience working at a public accounting firm.
- Experience working on technical work papers & memos related to any of the following; M&A transactions, Equity & Debt issues, Insurance Statutory Guidance Issues, Reinsurance Transactions, Technical Tax GAAP accounting issues
- Experience summarizing complex topics to non accounting professionals
Preferred education & experience
- Accounting experience at a Health Insurance Company
- Experience working at a recently public company
- Experience with structuring or diligence teams
- A combination of a "Big 4" accounting firm & public/private accounting experience
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.